Cinematic: ‘Be Our Guest’ in the new Beauty and the Beast

The official Beauty and the Beast movie poster.

Jesus Hernandez, Staff Writer

This review has also been published on the Best of SNO.

This review was updated on May 10.

There are remakes of films announced every now and then but few of those films live up to their expectations of their original film. The original Oscar winning Beauty and the Beast was released in 1991 by Walt Disney Pictures. Twenty-six years later Disney decided to remake the classic animated film into a modern live-action film.

Beauty and the Beast (2017) was released on March 17, and was a beast (pun intended) at the box office breaking numerous record sales and having a staggering $350 million opening weekend. As of May 10, the film has earned over $1 billion at the box office placing it at number 11 of highest grossing movies of all time.

The film is directed by Bill Condon and stars Emma Watson as the lovable Belle with Dan Stevens playing as the Beast. Other favorable characters include Gaston (Luke Evans), Cogsworth (Ian McKellen), Lumiere (Ewan McGregor) and Mrs. Potts (Emma Thompson). From the original start, you can tell Disney wanted to keep those precious memories from fans having watched the original 1991 classic but also feature new ideas and storytelling for a new modern audience.

What made the original Beauty and the Beast so iconic was the use of numerous songs throughout the entire film which of course is a Disney tradition, and that was no exception since the new re-make features some of those classic songs as well as new songs added all composed by Allan Menken. One example could be the song “Be Our Guest,”  performed by Lumiere, which was a classic since it features memorable lyrics and with that, the new live-action version is phenomenal. There was a lot going on, colors were vibrant and the overall experience of just that scene alone felt like you were in a Broadway musical.

There was a lot going on, colors were vibrant and the overall experience of just that scene alone felt like you were in a Broadway musical.”

— Jesus Hernandez

The soundtrack of the original Beauty and the Beast was performed by Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson and was a beautiful track. Disney decided to get John Legend and Ariana Grande to perform the well-known “Beauty and the Beast” song, and the result was a lovable song. It adds a modern tone to the song but keeps true to its core many fans will remember and enjoy.

The film’s story is quite familiar to the original 1991’s plot. Belle gets trapped in the castle, falls in love with the Beast, and then lives happily ever after. But there’s more added to the new film which fills the gap of questions original fans might’ve had; questions I had and that were all answered throughout the new film. While of course some new scenes were introduced, it added more to the film in terms of storytelling and kept the movie going forward. I believe screenwriters Stephen Chbosky and Evan Spiliotopoulos did a marvelous and breathtaking work.

Now, who can forget the iconic scene of the ballroom where Belle and the Beast are dancing? The original had this beautiful animation work done that at that time was stunning and still is. The new re-make gets the job well done in keeping that classic scene and does it even better. While it’s no animation, the ballroom scene looks so spectacular it almost makes you want to join them and believe in love.

Beauty and the Beast is an overall amazing experience. It’s a tremendously well written film that longtime fans will enjoy and features lovable characters. If you’re into musicals, or just love Disney in general then we want you to “Be Our Guest.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Cinematic: ‘Be Our Guest’ in the new Beauty and the Beast”

1. Selena on March 20th, 2017 8:44 pm

Great review. I haven’t had the time to go see it but this makes me more anxious to go.

[Reply]

2. Lolly Wildharber on April 8th, 2017 6:06 am

I was mesmerized by the movie as was my whole family. Our 9-year-old triplet granddaughtes who are normally in perpetual motion sat quietly taking it all in.

We LOVED it!! I was reminded of Mary Poppins or Sound of Music. I was shocked when I read the review in the Atlanta Journal that gave it a C+. I would give it an A and expect it to be nominated for awards.

[Reply]

• Cinematic: ‘Be Our Guest’ in the new Beauty and the Beast

Reviews

Cinematic: ‘Unbroken,’ a tale of survival and courage

Reviews

Game Corner: Choose your fate in Fire Emblem Fates

Reviews

Rising Stars: Collab channel is gaining millions of subscribers

Reviews

TV FANatic: 13 Reasons Why is groundbreaking

Reviews

The Book Look: ‘The Help’ studies difficult societal issues through maids

Reviews

Burger Pursuit: Fries outperform Grand Mac in taste test

Reviews

Musical Seoul: Around Gfriend’s “Fingertip”

Reviews

The Book Look: Paper books, ebooks face off for readers’ attention

Reviews

The 1990s are represented: Rangers hit the box office

Reviews

Rising Stars: Wes Tucker gains thousands of followers