Former VMT student now teaches dance

The Magnet Tribune: Lucero Rea
Dance Instructor Lorena Mahtani demonstrates a dance move during a 5th block class.

Lucero Rea

Lucero Rea, Staff Writer

Lorena Mahtani, former VMT student, is in her first year teaching at VMT. She teaches jazz, contemporary, hip-hop, and ballet.

“Dance is my life. It’s a passion that I’ve had for about 20 years,” Mahtani said.

Everyone is special. Everyone has their specific types of strengths and weaknesses.”

— Lorena Mahtani

When she was a child she was given the opportunity by Cheryl Kirkpatrick, dance department instructor who is now retired from VMT and Mary Ellen Leyendecker, dance instructor. It helped her because it was the first time she was technically trained for dancing.

This helped her follow her dreams and pursue them, and she said she would like to do the same for her students.

She has learned that there are many different type of dancers out there.

“Everyone is special. Everyone has their specific types of strengths and weaknesses,” Mahtani said.

She thinks VMT is an awesome school. She used to teach at Laredo Community College, and said there is a big difference in age and maturity level between high school and college students.

She said that the students at VMT are very humble and eager to learn.

“But I think that the students at VMT are more fun,” Mahtani said.

Her favorite type of dance is jazz because it’s energetic and exciting but it also derives from ballet. She said people can see the technique developed through ballet.

“It has developed in a bigger plane such as jumps, kicks and turns,” she said.

“You can see the technique developed through ballet, but jazz is more eye-catching,” Mahtani added.