Float wins awards in both parades

Justyne Bernal, Staff Writer

Many want to be a part of history and leave a mark somewhere so when people in the future hear our names they’ll remember the difference they made.

This school year Vidal M. Trevino participated in the WBCA Youth and Grand Parade. The final product of this year’s float made history for the school, earning one or two awards in each parade.

The school entered the WBCA Youth Parade Under the Stars on Feb. 18 and finished as the best high school float, and received the President’s Award as well.

As for Saturday’s grand parade on Feb. 20, the Anheuser-Busch Washington’s Birthday Parade, the school gained the award for best float in the high school division as well.

Not only was this a good outcome of taking on the project, but the students who participated were able to “bond unlike before,” according to freshman Alan Garza, a student volunteer.

Not only did the students get the opportunity to work on this but they were also able to create memories for themselves.

These memories were described as “fun and exhausting,” said Garza, whose fine art is sculpture.

There were almost 20 students plus the two visual arts teachers, other teachers and staff that enjoyed lending a hand to this year’s float.

“I was pleased with the outcome. It was tough, but it came out perfect,” Garza said.

Together these volunteers were able to give a sense of their creativity to the float while still giving a meaningful message to the float.

“Our founding fathers and their decisions to give us liberty, the pursuit of happiness,” Visual Arts instructor and head of the float committee Alfonso Santos said.

With only taking two weeks to complete the project, these volunteers were put up to a task. Despite the short time they had, in the end, it was a masterpiece that came out “just the way they pictured it,” Garza said.

Since he was given details about the float such as “the Liberty Bell and the Constitution on the wall” it came out just the way he “imagined” it to be.

Although they had mostly recyclable materials to work with, they didn’t let this disadvantage get in the way of reaching their goal. Other objects they used rather than the recyclable materials, included “chicken wire, PVC pipe, many screws, special parade paper, staples, papier-mâché,” Santos said.

They created a papier mache bell that supported their message to the crowd. Santos was able to recognize that the bell was the center of attention on the float during both parades from how the people reacted “surprised and impressed” once they saw it, Garza said.