Former student returns as a student teacher in his fine arts area

Student teacher Martin Vela (red shirt) helps students practice for their projects during a recent second block class.

The Magnet Tribune: Dafne Naranjo

The Magnet Tribune: Dafne Naranjo

Dafne Naranjo, Staff Writer

“Mr. Carroll, he made me fall in love with theater,” is the reason Martin Vela is student teaching here this fall.

“He would always say, ‘Theater is a laboratory for everything else.’ You use all the different subjects so I see it that way as well,” he said.

Vela used to be a student at the old VMT campus and graduated in the year of 2013. He then ensued to go to college at Texas A&M in Corpus Christi.

Now he’s back but as a student teacher for Vernon Carroll, theater department head.

Vela explained what he likes about being back at VMT.

Exciting, feels great to be back on school grounds and see the differences and endless opportunities that the new campus has for the students.”

— Martin Vela

“Exciting, feels great to be back on school grounds and see the differences and endless opportunities that the new campus has for the students,” he said.

He discussed what he likes about being Carroll’s student teacher.

“It feels great. He’s a prodigious mentor. I used to take this class for 4 hours or so. I used to work with him outside of school during the summer as well. I majored in theater in college and I learned most of everything I know from Mr. Carroll,” Vela said.

He then talked about becoming a teacher here at VMT.

“At some point yes, there’s so much you can do, students that want to be here. In other high schools where I used to teach, students would just go for requirements to take theater not because they actually wanted to be there,” he said.

He describes some of the personas of the students and their reactions to him being a student teacher.

“All the students are willing to work hard for what they love. They love the things I carry. I learn from and with them as a teacher and performer as well. All the students are confident, hard- working, devoted, and very gifted,” Vela said.

He talked about his goals while here at VMT.

“To retain as much as I can from the method Mr. Carroll withholds, but not just as a teacher also as a student,” Vela said.

Vela discussed why theater is important to him.

“Theater was my center. I actually have a degree and a bachelor’s degree. It has always been my key,” he said.

He talked about where he might be in five years.

“Directing, performing, and educating younger artists,” he said.

He feels fortunate to be back at VMT this semester.

“I’m just excited and happy I got to come back and experience everything with Mr. Carroll,” he said.