Student teacher hopes to show her future students they can always be more

Student+teacher+Maria+Enriquez+is+assigned+to+Pre-AP+English+II+instructor+Ricardo+Carrillo+this+semester.+
Student teacher Maria Enriquez is assigned to Pre-AP English II instructor Ricardo Carrillo this semester.

The Magnet Tribune: Emilia Vela

The Magnet Tribune: Emilia Vela

Emilia Vela, Staff Writer

Former Alexander High School student Maria Enriquez is in her last semester of college before she graduates, and is spending her last semester as a student teacher here.

She was chosen to shadow Ricardo Carrillo, the Pre-AP English II teacher, for the rest of the semester to learn and observe what teaching real students will be like.

“I couldn’t have asked for a more knowledgeable and supportive mentor,” Enriquez said.

Her interest in teaching started when she was 12 years old, and although she didn’t think she was going to pursue a career in it, Enriquez said she enjoyed teaching when she was young.

She had originally planned a career path in journalism. Enriquez stated that she had hoped to be an editor in the future, but she changed her major in college when she realized she loved her English classes more than any other.

In college is when it clicked for her. She said she enjoyed English and wanted to pass on her passion for it to others.

Make sure you teach with your heart or you’re not going to enjoy your field.”

— Maria Enriquez

“It is better than I thought it would be. You’re benefitting students’ knowledge and helping them even consider college,” Enriquez said.

Enriquez hopes to stay in Laredo when she obtains her teaching degree this December. She wants to teach high schoolers but would settle for middle schoolers as well.

While she would like to stay in Laredo, if not, she would like to stay in Texas at most. She said she thinks Laredo has a lot of potential.

“Without proper knowledge of English and grammar no one’s going to take you seriously,” she said.

Enriquez said she wants to teach students something she knows they are going to use in everyday life. She wants to make sure they are properly prepared and equipped to deal with all the future has to offer them.

“If you try you can be and do whatever you want,” she said.

Enriquez wants to pass on her knowledge and love of English to others. She hopes that when she does graduate she can get employed at VMT.

When she first came here she admitted she was a little nervous, but the students were nothing short of respectful and well disciplined. They were all kind, well behaved, and were accepting of her.

“(It’s) amazing, really, and I’m not just saying that to get you all to like me. I do feel this has been the best experience that I’ve gotten,” Enriquez said.

She said when she was in high school at Alexander things were different compared to here. At VMT everyone wants to be here, the environment and décor are happier, people are more respectful. Plus they didn’t have a journalism program, she said.

“There is a lot of emphasis on the fine arts, and ya’ll are here because you chose to be here,” she said.

She said that even if she were back in college and had the opportunity to still be a journalist, she wouldn’t switch because now she has the opportunity to change and impact students’ lives.

Enriquez believes students can be more than they think, they have no limits to what they can achieve.

“Make sure you teach with your heart or you’re not going to enjoy your field,” Enriquez said.