Musician to spend summer performing with elite group

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Jonathan Martinez will be participating with the Crossmen Drum Corps.

The Magnet Tribune: Audrey Castillo

The Magnet Tribune: Audrey Castillo

The Magnet Tribune: Audrey Castillo

Audrey Castillo, Staff Writer

Senior VMT high brass student Jonathan Martinez is one of the 24 trumpet players to be accepted into an elite marching band organization, Crossmen Drum and Bugle Corps.

Playing the trumpet is something Jonathan has been fond of since middle school, and he continued this journey throughout his high school experience. He has been a student at VMT, and is part of the Cigarroa High School band.

Martinez also performed with the TMEA All-State Band in February.

“When I was in middle school I learned about the corps through a band director, so when I found out I could try out, I wanted to be a part of that organization,” Martinez said.

Now as a senior, Martinez has finally had enough experience and courage to go out and audition despite having to go to San Antonio.

“What I most look forward to is meeting new people and playing at the highest level I possibly can,” Martinez, who studies under VMT music instructor Robert Lopez, added.

Not many people get a chance to do this. I didn’t know I would make it; I was a first-year member trying out, but I was definitely excited.”

— Jonathan Martinez

Being a part of the camp, he said he has gotten to meet people from all over the world who come audition in hopes of scoring a contract with Crossman.

The audition process consisted of playing an instrument and being observed by a mentor and later being placed in a red or black group after trying out, black being the more advanced players with whom Martinez was placed with.

“Not many people get a chance to do this. I didn’t know I would make it; I was a first-year member trying out, but I was definitely excited,” Jonathan added.

Being in the corps takes a lot more than just having expertise in playing a certain instrument, you must also pay the fee of 3,800 which covers all the traveling expenses such as hotels, food, and anything else the members may need. Martinez has said he is paying this in payments and has also put up a GoFundMe page, https://www.gofundme.com/wvx47c to help his cause since he is not able to have a job because of his busy schedule.

Martinez’ family was very proud that his challenging work and dedication had paid off and were with him every step of the way. The chances of making the corps are slim so all those around him were more than proud of what he has accomplished.

Music is essential in Jonathan’s life, he said. Despite being home he must still train to be ready to travel this summer with the corps, music and video assignments are given weekly and must be submitted every Sunday, aside from that they must also practice their own music which they will be playing during the summer tour.

Founded in 1974, the corps travel for 3 months performing in various locations over the United States competing against other marching band organizations, to be in the corps, you must be younger than 21 and must audition due to the limited space available, 154 spots to be exact.

I know it’s going to be very hard, but I know I’m going to enjoy it.”

— Jonathan Martinez

May 18, all those who have made it will be expected to move into the San Antonio headquarters for spring training, in preparation for the summer traveling, and eventually for the finals in Indianapolis, Indiana where this experience will take its finale.

After high school, he plans to go to the University of Texas at San Antonio to obtain a bachelor’s in music education and a master’s in music performance.

“I know it’s going to be very hard, but I know I’m going to enjoy it,” Martinez said.

About the Contributor