Libraries are important: Here’s why

The school library, along with the campus, opened in 2015.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

Zoe Alvarez, Staff Writer

From the early 1800’s to the present day, libraries are used worldwide by people. They give the world unlimited information. It is most helpful to the public and students in school. Libraries give the public a precious gift many people fail to see, reading. Here’s a glimpse into librarians’ thoughts on the benefits of the library and its role in students’ lives.

The role of the library is often overlooked. To Mary Prevost, the main librarian at the J.W. Nixon High school library, It’s a place where students go for information. A place where students can come together in groups. It’s a place where students can study. She sees the library as the center of the school in terms of information. It’s even a place where students can go to have discussions with the librarian and staff.

Mary Prevost is the main librarian at J.W. Nixon High School.

“The library is kind of the center the hub of the school as far as information,” she said.

The library is just as important to the students. Prevost believes it gives the students the proper resources when they are conducting research for school projects or assignments.

The library is kind of the center the hub of the school as far as information.”

— Mary Prevost

“I think it gives them the resources that they need when they’re doing research,” she said.

The library even offers students assistance if they need help, she said. The library can help students with a certain topic that is school or non-school related. They can help students find an answer to any particular question. They will also help students if they need help printing or looking for online tools.

“You know, a little bit of everything,” she said.

Prevost considers reading quite a big factor in the library. Everything revolves around reading.

“I think all of your subject areas deal with reading or have reading required,” she said.

She also believes reading is just as important in pursuing higher education.

“If you want to go to college you need to read,” she said.

If you want to go to college you need to read.”

— Mary Prevost

Prevost also recommends reading when looking into careers or when considering having a job in the future.

“You go onto a job you’re going to be reading,” she said.

The library itself has everything dealing with information along with print and online sources, Prevost said. The library gives students the convenience of only having to check out a book, unlike tablets or phones that do require power and internet.

“You don’t have to worry about having the internet or needing power,” she said.

She also feels students use technology more outside of school.

“As far as students, they look at technology more for their social life,” she said.

Contrary to popular belief, Prevost feels technology such as tablets and phones and paperback books cannot be compared for better or worse.

“It’s like comparing apples and oranges. They’re not the same,” she said.

It’s like comparing apples and oranges. They’re not the same.”

— Mary Prevost

Students can always use the library for whatever reasons their hearts desire. To Prevost, a library is a place where students come to communicate with each other. It’s a place where they know it’s safe for them to be. It is also a place where resources are abundant and free and do not need to be purchased.

“There’s a wealth of knowledge here that has not been tapped by students,” she said.

All is understood due to the fact that time is limited when students are in high school.

Over the past few years, Prevost has not seen a decline at the J.W. Nixon library, only a shift in why students use the library.

“I don’t think there’s a decline, I think there’s a shift in why they come to the library,” she said.

Students use the library for academics more than they do for pleasure, Prevost said. The usage of the library has now become more academic and research related now than in the past.

As a resource, technology and libraries differ. One grand difference Prevost sees between the two is the amount of information they both provide. Unlike the library, information on the internet is always quick and to the point, missing many details.

“If you compare what you get on the internet, it’s always very brief,” she said.

A book can always be read online but it is often always purchased. One never needs to purchase at the library, everything is free. Prevost also notices teachers using the library. She has seen many teachers come and order more books. She even had a computer teacher order some books for his computer science class. This confused Prevost. She assumed he knew technology in and out.

“He’s a computer teacher. I’m sure he knows technology like the back of his hand,” she said.

But in this case, everything the computer science teacher was looking for was only available in books.

“But the fact is, everything that was in the books he ordered could not be accessed online,” she said. “It was just too much,”

Technology over Traditional

George Gloria is the library aide at the Vidal M. Trevino School of Communications and Fine Arts.

Just like Prevost, Gloria also finds libraries incredibly important.

“Because if we didn’t have libraries we wouldn’t have books,” he said.

He also says there wouldn’t be people checking out library material.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
George Gloria is reviewing a student sign-in sheet at the VMT library.

“We wouldn’t have people checking out books,” he said.

Students wouldn’t be able to obtain any knowledge, research, or work on school projects without the library. He believes that through books your imagination can fly.

“You can travel wherever you want,” he said.

According to Gloria, libraries became something due to their importance. They help direct people and help provide information.

“The library is very important. That’s why they exist, they are the center of information. Libraries guide you and help you to get knowledge and to accommodate you in the best way possible,” he said.

He believes that students who use the library prepare themselves for higher education.

“I think that by reading you can prepare yourself for college,” he said.

I think that by reading you can prepare yourself for college.”

— George Gloria

Gloria strongly believes that books are better for students. He says that books give students information, knowledge, and a better understanding of topics they might not have known at all.

“You get more experience on things that you might not have known and now know,” he said.

Students may benefit more from the library vs. reading from a tablet or phone. The library offers different reference materials such as scientific journals and literature from around the world.

“They get a lot of information, valid information again, I would say,” he said.

Gloria feels this modern society does not use libraries as often as in the past.

Gloria argues that books are more capable than technology.

“I think books do more than technology even though technology is far more advanced,” he said.

Gloria notices more students using technology instead of paperback books. He feels sadden at the observation.

“I don’t go much for technology but everybody has their way of thinking,” he said.

I don’t go much for technology but everybody has their way of thinking.”

— George Gloria

Gloria prefers paperback books over technology.

“I prefer the paperback because I was brought up with paperback books,” he said.

He always likes to have the books in his hands. He likes to turn the pages and see the pictures in the books.

He also stresses that one obtains more knowledge from the library.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
The lounge area at the VMT library is an inviting place for students to read.

For more information on the J.W. Nixon library: http://nixonhs.elisd.org/about_our_campus/library

Nixon library hours:

Monday – Friday. 7:45 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; Wednesday- 7:45- 6:00 (Extended Day)

For more information on the VMT library: http://vmt.elisd.org/about_our_campus/library

VMT library hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.