• Self-improvement effort
    • Don't ever give up
    • Brings everyone together
The Magnet Tribune: Lizeth Gutierrez
Martin High School catcher Kayla Cisneros waits for a pitch during a recent softball game.

Softball players strive for self-improvement

Three athletes use YouTube to improve at their positions

February 22, 2018

It has been a journey of self-improvement efforts for second baseman Alexa Maldonado, a junior at Martin High School.

Alexa shared that watching videos on YouTube help her get better.

“I watch videos on YouTube to try to learn and improve on my movements,” Alexa said.

The game of softball is special to her even though she has not been playing for a long time.

Don’t ever give up and keep trying until you get better at it; because life is full of risks and you always have to keep trying.”

— Alexa Maldonado

“It means a lot because I get distracted from all my problems. For example, I used to fight a lot with my mom and softball was kind of my way to get away of all the problems I had with her,” Alexa said.

She has only been playing for a year in the Martin Lady Tigers team.

Some things she does to make her team better is trying her best.

“I try to keep up, listen to advice, and try to learn more each day,” Alexa said.

She is one of many athletes that tries and keeps up and listens to the coaches and players advice.

Alexa shared a piece of advice that she would give to a beginner that is just starting to play softball.

“Don’t ever give up and keep trying until you get better at it; because life is full of risks and you always have to keep trying,” Alexa said.

‘Don’t ever give up’

Martin’s backup catcher and second baseman Kayla Cisneros has different ideas as how she might improve at her position.

Don’t ever give up, don’t get frustrated and just keep working hard and you will get it. Softball isn’t an easy sport. A lot of girls seem to give up on it really fast.”

— Kayla Cisneros

“I’m the catcher and what I do to improve is working on my blocking and getting used to being in a squat position,” Kayla said.

Kayla has been playing softball for nine years and she has participated with different teams.

“I’ve played with the Lady Lemurs, The Angels, All-Stars team, The Heat, and MHS Lady Tigers,” Kayla said.

Kayla attends open camps so she can apply techniques on her blocking from getting people to cross home plate.

“I usually go to any open camps so that I can learn what other people do or techniques they use so that I can pick up and practice,” Kayla said.

An open camp that she has attended is the TAMIU camp and learned new techniques.

“It was a great experience I learned a lot from the TAMIU catcher ever since then I have been improving little by little,” Kayla said.

Another way Kayla improves her skills is by viewing videos on social media.

“I also spend most of the time watching softball videos on YouTube on what I want to improve on,” Kayla said.

Some things Kayla does to make her team better is to try to make everyone get along and communicate.

“I try to keep them in the positive side, having everyone get along and try to get them together to have a girls’ team bonding time. It has helped because we’ve won a lot more games,” Kayla said.

The piece of advice that Kayla would give a beginner just starting to play softball is to try really hard.

“Don’t ever give up, don’t get frustrated and just keep working hard and you will get it. Softball isn’t an easy sport. A lot of girls seem to give up on it really fast,” Kayla said.

Brings everyone together as a team

Third baseman Esmeralda Luna looks for ways she says will help improve her game.

It means the world to me. My favorite thing is that it’s an escape, whatever is bothering me just doesn’t seem to matter anymore. Life can be cruel but in the end softball has always been a field that doesn’t care who you are or what you’ve done it just wants you to play the game you love.”

— Esmeralda Luna

“The thing I do to improve at my position is to practice at the little things that need to be worked on,” Esmeralda said.

The game of softball is special to Esmeralda because it is a way she can forget about things that trouble her.

“It means the world to me. My favorite thing is that it’s an escape, whatever is bothering me just doesn’t seem to matter anymore. Life can be cruel but in the end softball has always been a field that doesn’t care who you are or what you’ve done it just wants you to play the game you love,” Esmeralda said.

Esmeralda has been playing softball for the past four years.

“I’ve participated in the Martin Lady Tigers softball,” Esmeralda said.

Esmeralda uses a technique that helps hit one stronger.

“Some techniques I’ve used to improve my skills is practicing my batting by hitting a tire with the bat. This makes your hitting stronger. I use this technique because it helps me improve a lot in my batting and helps me have stronger hits,” Esmeralda said.

She tries to bring everyone together as a team and work together on what needs to be improved.

“The things I do to make my team better is to communicate with each other, also by helping each other in whatever we need to work on so we as a team can improve,” Esmeralda said.

The piece of advice that Esmeralda would give to a new player is to practice and never quit.

“My advice to beginners is to never give up, never quit because you aren’t good at a specific spot. It takes practice to improve,” Esmeralda said.