VMT art student strives to achieve dream

VMT art student Liberty Garcia poses in front of a wall at Mall del Norte.

The Magnet Tribune: Emilia Vela

The Magnet Tribune: Emilia Vela

Emilia Vela, Staff writer

“In 8th grade, I basically figured everything out with what I wanted to do with my life and its art.”

VMT art student Liberty Garcia earlier this year won an award at the district’s STEM Technology expo for her T-shirt design creating the winning STEAM logo. But for her art isn’t just a hobby she’s passionate about, it’s something she hopes to pursue as a career.

Liberty’s style of art can be described as contemporary portraiture as said by her art teacher Gilberto Rocha: “it’s very hip.”

Her interest in art started when she was a little girl. That when she was little she would color and that’s how she started. She is a self-taught artist.

“I was a goody-two-shoes and liked to learn to color inside the lines. And then in first grade it basically sprung into something else,” Garcia said.

When Garcia was young, there was a movie she would watch called “Over the Hedge.” One of the special features parts of the film was a drawing tutorial for Hammy the squirrel one of the characters in the movie.

“That was my fun time ‘cause I was an only child, so I didn’t have much to do. So, I would just keep myself entertained. I liked doing stuff like that so then I ended up drawing the whole cast based off the artist sketches,” she said.

She continued like this until fourth grade where she would draw characters and still life. For a period of 2 years, she had stopped drawing due to personal reasons, but then in sixth grade, she picked it up again and started drawing consistently. She described it as “getting her mojo back.”

Seventh grade is when she had her first art teacher, she said. While the teacher and the class, in general, were “pretty nice” she felt as though she didn’t learn anything.

“Then in eighth grade, I sort of had my first real art teacher. She basically influenced me to participate in many art competitions and I started winning so that boosted my confidence tremendously,” Garcia said.

Garcia draws inspiration for her art from other artists like Alfonso Mucha and modern artists like Lioba Brueckner and Tanya Shatseva. They themselves are very famous contemporary artists. They take their art to different heights with the use of bright and vibrant colors.

But for her everyday life, she said she draws inspiration from her parents. Her mother is a hair stylist and her father was a classical pianist. Both take much creativity and patience, which Garcia learned from.

Ever since she was little her parents always told her that she could do anything she wants to do with her life, and that’s exactly what she plans on doing, she said.

“They told me that I can accomplish anything, and like I’ve always believed them,” Garcia said. “And sometimes I feel stupid for believing them, but you know what? I’m gonna do it, I’m gonna do my best to do it.”

About the Contributor