Seniors reminisce on recitals

Sofia Ramos, Staff Writer

As the 2017-2018 school year comes to an end, the pressure to pass classes and receive credits is high.

While freshmen, sophomores, and juniors prepare for another school year by taking tests and meeting deadlines, the seniors at VMT prepare to end their school with their own unique way.

Every senior is required to perform a senior recital in order to receive a medallion. The medallion is what they’ve been working towards for the past 3 years.

Every fine art at VMT is different. This means everyone has a different way of performing a senior recital.

A dance student performs a solo that they choreograph.

A choir student sings a solo.

A radio and television student creates a demo reel that displays all of their work.

Any students that play instruments perform with a group.

A journalism or art/ sculpture student has a photo show in the Laredo center for the arts.

Since their first day at VMT, every student has been aware that they would need to perform a senior recital in order to receive a medallion.

Some might think of this as frightening or a lot of pressure, but most students come to find that its actually very simple.

Everybody from every fine art experiences and prepares for their senior recital differently.

Violin and strings student Alexandra Gomez said she had mixed emotions about her recital.

“I was pretty nervous, I wasn’t excited about having to do one but I got through it and it felt good afterward,” Gomez said.

She said she practiced very hard in order to get it just right.

“I spent the whole beginning of the year practicing the same three songs every day in the morning and at home whenever I had the chance to do so,” Gomez said.

Gomez explained what she felt during her recital.

“Throughout the recital, my mind was racing and my heart was pounding so loud that I heard it over my own violin. I was so nervous that my whole body was shaking and it was so hard to play,” she said.

Gomez also tells us her emotions after it was all over.

“I felt so relieved afterward, the shaking just stopped,” she added.

Dance student Dayana Gonzalez shared similar emotions.

“Throughout my recital, I felt nervous because once I went on stage my mind went blank. Once it was over, I felt relieved because I stayed on stage throughout a whole song,” Gonzalez said.

For a journalism, art, or radio and television student, the preparations for a recital are completely different. They don’t get on a stage and perform. Instead, they have photo/art shows and present their demo reels.

“Throughout my recital, I felt nervous because once I went on stage my mind went blank. Once it was over, I felt relieved because I stayed on stage throughout a whole song.””

— Dayana Gonzales

Journalism student Maddie Dion explained her experience.

“I put my best photos together. I was excited because I knew the year was almost over I am about to graduate. I was very happy when it was over because it was also my final grade that was already done and I did not have to stress about it anymore,” Dion said.

Radio and television student Sanjuanita Valdepeña described the requirements for her recital.

“I had to pre-produce my work and try not to stress. It was awesome to see my work being displayed, I almost cried,” Valdepeña said. “When it was over I was happy because I did not have to work on it anymore.”

About the Writer