Woman strived to be successful and so she is

Brenda A. Sepulveda

Brenda A. Sepulveda

The Magnet Tribune: Briana Sepulveda

The Magnet Tribune: Briana Sepulveda

Brenda A. Sepulveda

Briana Sepulveda, Staff Writer

She knew she could do it, so she did.

“Being in a low-income family, you would always see your parents sacrifice and work very hard to make sure you had everything that you needed,” Brenda A. Sepulveda said.

Throughout her childhood having two parents who sacrificed everything for her; she was inspired.

She grew up in the then small town of Laredo, Texas, in a family of six with three older sisters as her examples.

Both of her parents emigrated from Mexico and constantly yearned to provide for their four daughters in the United States.

Sepulveda was inspired to not only provide for her family but to work hard, she said.

At the age of 16 years old, she began working at Walmart.

“When I was of age, I started working so that I could provide assistance to my household and I could buy my own things. Which meant that my parents did not have to worry about purchasing things for me,” she said.

Before and throughout all of the working, she went through many different schools as she was growing up.

Going from private to public schools was a big change, but she continuously pushed through and strived to do the best she could, she said.

The way I see it and my mentality is where there’s a will, there’s a way. Everything’s possible if you just set your mind to it; anything can be done. There are no limits. The only limits that there are in life are those that you set for yourself.”

— Brenda Sepulveda

She graduated from J.W. Nixon High School and was ranked eleventh in her class.

“This was a big surprise for me because I worked, but my parents always pushed me to do more and I aspired to be like them and rise above their expectations,” she said.

Pushing through and achieving the small successes growing up didn’t always come easily to her.

The mentality she established for herself was one of the main purposes of obtaining success.

“The way I see it and my mentality is where there’s a will, there’s a way. Everything’s possible if you just set your mind to it; anything can be done. There are no limits. The only limits that there are in life are those that you set for yourself,” she said.

Sepulveda attended school at Laredo College, Texas A&M International University, and Grand Canyon University.

At first, she aspired to become an accountant, due to her passion of math, she said.

Once in college, she said she realized that she loved working with people. In becoming an accountant it would entail more of a closed setting with very few or no hands-on objectives.

Therefore, she decided to make a major change in her career and go into education instead, she said.

“What made me change careers and go into teaching was the passion that I had growing up helping my mother when she was a teacher. Seeing that my mother and sisters were teachers, I really held on to this passion. I love what I did with accounting, but I wasn’t passionate enough about it,” she said.

Already being married and with her first child, she decided to challenge herself and her career.

She then took certain tests and decided that if she passed all of her exams the first time around, then it was meant to be.

It took her not even a year to obtain her teacher certification, and to her, it was certainly meant to be, she said.

Sepulveda became a first-grade teacher at Ligarde Elementary and began her education career.

She taught for 6 years and one day discovered an opening in the district.

“I didn’t want to leave the classroom. Although, the job description that they had, it pretty much entailed that they needed an individual that was going to be helping Early Childhood teachers to make a bigger impact in their classrooms. So I said, ‘This is my opportunity to help teachers improve,’” she said.

Sepulveda loved her job in the classroom, but yearned to do more, she said.

She was very inspired to make a bigger impact in the lives of others and decided to make a leap.

“Making a difference in people’s lives that’s always been my inspiration,” she said.

From mentor in 2 ½ years to dean in 7 years, she was constantly determined to impact the lives of many, she said.

Day by day she strived to be the best and did everything possible to achieve that goal, she said.

“I could not accept mediocrity as something that I do on a daily basis. Unfortunately though, nowadays the minimum is acceptable for some people, but not for me,” she said.

One of her dreams was to work in the central office to be able to impact the district as a whole and so she did.

She obtained her master’s degree and worked hard for her dream.

In aspiring to be a technology trainer, after having worked almost 7 years as an Early Childhood Dean, she applied for another position.

Sepulveda applied to an even higher and impactful position and was soon to be known as the Director of Instructional Technology.

Instructional Technology is a part of education, and the main purpose of the instructional designers is to produce and institute effective learning engagements.

In being hardworking, dedicated, and determined, she finally reached her goal and is currently in that position.

“I feel like all my hard work has paid off,” she said.

About the Contributor