Band members disclose why marching band is special

The Magnet Tribune: Lauren Medellin
Blanca Flores, left, who plays saxophone, gets ready to perform during halftime at Shirley Field.

Lauren Medellin, Staff Writer

J.W Nixon band members reveal what makes marching band so special.

“The people that I got to know and the band directors, they taught me so much about life such as being punctual, being reliable, and being honest. We all become family,” Hallie Herrera, a senior flute player, said.

Herrera explained her memory of marching band.

“My greatest memory was when the band made area finals. There was so much adrenaline. I would never forget how the band felt when we made it,” Herrera said.

Herrera explained some challenges she faced.

“The hardest part for me is remembering to apply fundamentals, squaring your shoulders, prepping, but the people especially make it harder. They never get to their spot on time or they get there late. If I or the band didn’t apply these we would have never made it to area finals,” Herrera said.

They taught me so much about life such as being punctual, being reliable, and being honest. We all become family.”

— Hallie Herrera

Rachell Ramirez, a junior clarinet player, explained why she thinks this season is the best one yet.

“I believe that this season will be the best because the band in general is getting better with their playing and with their music as well,” Ramirez said.

Ramirez stated that marching this year isn’t something she likes.

“This years’ marching season really isn’t my favorite because the people that march beside me don’t really cooperate,” Ramirez said.

Ramirez clarified why she enjoys being in her high school band.

“I plan on staying in band until I graduate because band has been a part of my life ever since 6th grade, and why leave when I could keep getting better at playing and in marching?” Ramirez said.

Ramirez stated what she liked about the marching band.

“My best memory of marching band so far is when the band went and made area finals last year,” Ramirez said.

Andrea Bernal, a freshman flute player, explained what made me want to be in band in high school.

“What encouraged me to join band in high school was seeing the band perform on the field and on the stage. It made me want to try it out,” Bernal said.

Bernal explained why marching band is uncomplicated.

“I find it quite easy because I kind of did marching when I was in middle school and even if I didn’t find it easy, I have 10th, 11th, and 12th graders to help me with my marching,” Bernal said.

Bernal stated that she wants to continuing being in band after freshman year.

“I do plan on staying in band. I like marching on the field and seeing all those people cheering for us as we march, and supporting us all the way,” Bernal said.

Lastly Juan Sosa, head band director at Nixon High School, explained what inspired him to become a band director at Nixon High School.

I also choose music that’s going to sound suitable for you to learn, suitable for you to enjoy and overall the music selections that I choose often have meaning and purpose.”

— Juan Sosa (Nixon band director)

“The inspiration comes from my family, my father, my brother, and my sister, all of which are musicians. My directors helped motivate me to become a music director, my middle school directors, and my high school directors. Mr. Navarro, band director at Nixon High School, was influential in my final decision. But it mostly comes from my father, a former band director, for two years. I would love to follow in his footsteps,” Sosa said.

Hector Navarro was Juan Sosa’s high school director when Sosa was a student at Nixon.

Sosa explained how he picks the pieces the band plays.

“First off, I choose what’s appealing to my ears. But I also choose music that’s going to sound suitable for you to learn, suitable for you to enjoy and overall the music selections that I choose often have meaning and purpose. I try to convey that as a teacher to use so you could understand as an individual what music is as a future musician to perform,” Sosa said.

Sosa explained that marching band and concert band are both his favorites.

“I don’t prefer one over the other because they need to co-exist. Concert Arch helps with posture and picking up your instruments on time. Marching band deals with the same techniques. So even if I choose marching over concert it would not be a sufficient answer to say, ‘Why do I like it’ or it’s not that I like it more it’s just that they need to co-exist with each other. I personally love them both equally,” Sosa said.

Sosa explained his best memory of the band.

“Winning trophies knowing that you’ve put your heart and soul to your practices and when you come out on top of other bands in the city and in their region and state, knowing your reputation is really rewarding. Knowing that we were able to make a change my first year going from missing finals two to four years in a row, to making finals last year and having another opportunity this year (due to the move to 6A). I think my greatest memory is going to be my last two years as a Nixon band director,” Sosa said.

Sosa offered inspiring words for everybody.

“You got to love what you do in order for you to be good at it whether it’s education, whether it’s business, whether it’s painting or sculpting, whatever it is you decide to do,” Sosa said. “If you love it then you’ll be good at it. If you don’t love it then you won’t be servicing the students. Influences, passion, drive, and desire have to deal with the success of anyone.”

About the Contributor