Local musicians share thoughts on music, fan base, and community

The Magnet Tribune: Courtesy of Rapid
Rapid, whose real name is Jacob Garza, performs at a concert in Laredo.

Fernando Martinez, Staff Writer

Two local musicians live with big dreams of being known in the national rap game.

Jacob Garza is an independent rap artist that goes by the name “Rapid.” Rapid has made a name for himself in the past few years, by releasing his music on SoundCloud and YouTube.

“I’m 16 and I’ve been making music since I was 13 in the eighth grade,” Rapid said.

Rapid states his biggest goal with his music is to represent his city and its people.

“Truthfully, my goal is to put on for Laredo, to get that recognition Laredo deserves. There’s so much talent in the city but they don’t get the credits they deserve. Another goal for my music is to be able to provide for my family in the future and my family now,” he said.

Rapid said he feels competition against other local artists.

“I do, but not with hate. I want to see everybody in the city winning because we’re all repping the same place. I want to see everybody up, but I’m also going to grind my hardest to make sure I get up there too,” he said.

Rapid states he has a hard time picking beats.

“For me, the hardest part of making music is finding a beat. I’m really picky about my beats, really picky. It just needs to sound right to me,” he said.

A message that he would like to encourage to his listeners is for them to believe in themselves.

“You can really go places and do whatever you want if you really want it. You can really do whatever you dream, you just got to have that drive to want it,” he said.

Truthfully, my goal is to put on for Laredo, to get that recognition Laredo deserves. There’s so much talent in the city but they don’t get the credits they deserve. ”

— Jacob Garza, also known as Rapid

“Support other’s dreams no matter how crazy they are. Get love, get money, and love others.”

Erubiel Garza is another local independent artist that makes alternative rock/rap music. He goes by the name “Lonwlf.” Lonwlf has worked with other local artists and is the owner of an alternative rock/rap group called “DeadBoiPosse.”

He releases his music on SoundCloud, Spotify, and YouTube, and plans to expand his music even further.

Lonwlf, a high school senior, explained his inspiration for writing music and how he started.

“I started writing when I was in the sixth grade,” he said. “I was so into Eminem at that time and I loved how he told stories about his life and how he would help people with his music and that’s what I wanted to do, write about my life and problems to help people out”

The audience I’m trying to reach are troubled teenagers who are going through hard times in their life.”

— Erubiel Garza, also known as Lonwlf

Lonwlf, a native Laredoan, believes local artists are at a disadvantage against artists from bigger cities.

“Here in Laredo no one really supports (artists) and I feel like in a bigger city there is more scene for music than in a small town,” he said.

Lonwlf strives to help troubled teens that struggle with life.

“The audience I’m trying to reach are troubled teenagers who are going through hard times in their life,” he said. “I’ve been through a lot, I’ve been hurt in many ways. I know how it is to feel lonely, coming from a broken home, and I want to help teens just like me, tell them that everything is going to be okay.”

Criticism isn’t something that stops him from doing what he loves.

“I just ignore it because at least I have the guts to do what they can’t do,” he said.

Lonwlf plans to move out of Laredo to expand on his music.

“I’m planning on moving to L.A. I’m actually going to L.A in October to expand my music more than (ever) before this year, and I’m thinking of moving before the year ends,” he said.

Lonwlf added that he would like to thank his supporters for listening to his music.

Rapid and Lonwlf say they plan to continue making music in the near future.