Close-friends vs. best-friends: What’s the difference?

The Magnet Tribune: Courtesy of Liberty Garcia
Liberty Garcia poses for a photo in her room at home.

Dafne Naranjo, Staff Writer

This story is also published on Best of SNO.

“A strong friendship doesn’t need daily conversation or being together. As long as the relationship lives in the heart, true friends never part.” – Unknown

Many friends act differently when they are by themselves vs. when they are in public. Sometimes they even act differently with their close-friends vs. with their best friends.

Sometimes a girl is more understanding than a guy is and vice versa. Most times there are things that one can’t tell a girl so they’re told to a trusted guy friend.

Noticing small things such as the behavior of a person or how they talk is not something many people do or notice. Many people do notice these things though. For example, me. I notice the smallest things in a person.

Two juniors at VMT and J.W. Nixon High School, Liberty Garcia and Melissa Carcamo, and Antonio Hernandez of Nixon, who describe themselves as very caring friends to their peers and others, talk a bit about their friendships between a girl and a guy.

Being there for someone is something important, so being there for your friend is really important.

“If one of my friends comes to me with a problem I would listen to them, and if they ask for advice I would give them advice. It doesn’t matter if my friend is a girl or a guy,” Garcia said.

“If my friend comes to me and tells me they are having trouble I would help them with the problem if they say they have one,” Hernandez said.

“If a friend of mine comes to me and tells me they are having trouble, I would probably try and get their mind off of the problem,” Carcamo said.

Sometimes it’s hard to support a friend when or after they made a decision you think is bad because then they will think you’re a bad friend.

“If they were to make a bad decision I would say something about it; if it’s a good decision I would congratulate them and go with it,” Garcia said.

I always try to be a good friend most of the time.”

— Liberty Garcia

“If it’s a bad decision I would tell them something, but if it was a good decision I would support them with it,” Hernandez said.

“I would support their decisions no matter what,” Carcamo said.

Being a tad bit competitive with your friend is normal and common amongst a group of friends. Sometimes you can be competitive over some of the smallest things.

“My girl best-friend and I are competitive about our grades, to see who has higher grades than the other. With my guy best-friend we compete about who’s the funniest,” Garcia said.

“With my girl best-friend we aren’t really that competitive, but if we do get competitive it’s usually about grades. With my guy best-friend we are competitive about our physical, who has more muscle and stuff like that,” Hernandez said.

“My best friend and I are competitive about our strength and who sings well sometimes we also compete with who has better flirting skills,” Carcamo said.

Not all friends are going to be close to you for the same reason, there’s always going to be something different.

“I think the difference between a close-friend vs. a best-friend is that with a best friend you never get tired of them, but with a close friend you start getting tired of them after a while,” Garcia said

“A best friend you trust more with personal things and a close friend not so much,” Hernandez said.

“With a best friend, you talk more freely and about random stuff but with a close friend you are a bit more serious,” Carcamo said.

Not all the time is it easy to trust someone and so when you do get close to a person you’re not always so open with them.

“With my best friend, I’m more open, more personal, but with a close friend I’m more closed,” Garcia said.

“With a best friend, you have more fun while with a close-friend you hold back a little,” Hernandez said.

“With my best friend, I can be myself a bit more but with a close friend, it’s harder to talk to them,” Carcamo said.

Being friends with a guy is different than being friends with a girl. There are always limits to remember.

“With a guy, I’m not afraid to open mouth and tell him stuff. But with a girl I have to have a ‘filter’ since we are a bit more sensible,” Garcia said.

“In a way, girls are more sentimental and guys are more random,” Hernandez said.

“Nothing really changes it’s just the fact that they are different genders,” Carcamo said.

Every group of friends, whether it be girls or guys, there’s always a “code” that can’t be broken, sort of like a pact.

“If my friend likes the same person I like that much I would give her a chance, if she doesn’t I would just go for it,” Garcia said.

“If my friend likes the same person as me, I would compete with them to see who will get the girl,” Hernandez said.

“If my friend likes the same person as me I would give them the chance and just move on, after all, what can I do,” Carcamo said.

Having friends with similar personalities and-or a similar sense of humor is very common in a group of friends.

“I have friends with a similar sense of humor but not with the same personality,” Garcia said.

“I actually do have a friend that has the same personality as me,” Hernandez said.

“I do have a friend that has the same personality as me,” Carcamo said.

There are times when people think that you are going out with your friend, it usually happens when you are close to that person.

“People usually think that we are dating or something like that, it doesn’t matter if my friend is a girl or a guy,” Garcia said.

“With a girl, they think that we are into each other or that we are dating. With a guy they don’t really misjudge us they just think that we are brothers or something,” Hernandez said.

“They usually think I’m dating my friend whether they be a girl or a guy,” Carcamo said.

About the Contributor