The Magnet Tribune: Courtesy of Jamin Teran
Teresa Gutierrez and Victoria Eller Castillo stand in front of signs at the All-American High School Film Festival in New York City.

Senior sees her own media piece at Times Square

November 7, 2018

“I was extremely surprised! It’s a national contest, so I submitted and didn’t think much of it afterward until I got an email, definitely shocked and grateful,” Teresa Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez really didn’t expect the result she got from her media piece. The piece she submitted was a Public Service Announcement (PSA) about an eating disorder developing over time.

The eating disorder was about “starting off eating as what we could say is fairly normal but later progressed to smaller portions of food with an emphasis on calorie counting,” Gutierrez explained.

Gutierrez, a senior at VMT who also attends Nixon High School, got the opportunity along with fellow senior and classmate Victoria Eller Castillo to see their work at the All American High School Film Festival in New York City, from Oct. 5-7, accompanied by their instructor, Digital Media Instructor Jamin Teran.

“Seeing my own work on a big screen was just absolutely surreal,” Gutierrez said.

Not only did Gutierrez get to see her media piece but she got to see different cultures. The film festival shows media pieces of different categories for animations, PSAs, and photography, among others.

“Our experience at the All American High School Film Festival was incredible. From meeting with other students and professionals from different cities, states, even countries to languages, such diverse works in multiple categories and languages as well,” Gutierrez said.

I think I’m still trying to process going to New York to see something I created.”

— Teresa Gutierrez

Gutierrez explained what they were able to do during the trip.

“We were able to elaborate on techniques and approaches in creating our future projects,” Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez said she learned a lot from this trip to put into her works in the making.

“We definitely came back with great tips and ideas to help better projects and our own mechanics when it comes to production. We were even able to explore different careers and programs available for these specific studies. It was intellectually stimulating and truly such a pleasure,” Gutierrez said.

Festival officials presented each of the media pieces on a big screen, one after the other. Gutierrez said she couldn’t believe that was actually going to happen.

“I think I’m still trying to process going to New York to see something I created,” Gutierrez said

Gutierrez explained what went into creating her piece.

“For my submission personally, I would say a really long and productive night. From learning how to make a video, it’s taken a lot of time, practice, and listening to (instructor) Ms. (Jamin) Teran’s lessons,” Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez hopes to get tips to further improve her media skills and work.

“I’d just like to try open doors for the future, like networking and gaining constructive criticism, learning from my own mistakes and picking up different tips from other people. You do gain a lot from observing and re-evaluating your works along with others. It’s super interesting,” Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez explained her feelings towards attending the festival.

“I’m just immensely thankful for this opportunity and the support that surrounds us. Ms. Teran is constantly pushing us to create our best works and still manages to help us improve. Everyone has been so great, and I’m extremely appreciative,” Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez expresses her appreciation towards those who made the trip possible, that included donations to a GoFundMe page.

“A super warm and immense thanks to everyone who made this possible. I honestly never would have imagined this happening,” said Gutierrez. “It only engineers a drive within. I’m ever so grateful.”