EMT finds her nurse studies very challenging

Victoria Hernandez, Staff Writer

Valeria Hernandez is one of the reporter’s most important women, next to her mother, who is truly a hard-worker and an inspiration to really strive for greatness. Ever since they were younger, she saw Valeria do what she is best at, which is school/education. Now that her sister Valeria is in college and in the nursing program, she has first-hand seen Valeria put all of her will and effort into the program which she finds admirable as her younger sister.

Hernandez originally had a job as an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) but had to leave her job in order to have her head focused on the nursing program. Her number one priority has always been school and always will be.

“I chose the career as a nurse because I like to help others. I love the nurturing aspect of it,” she said.

It is difficult to enter into the nursing program, and even more difficult to pass the classes.

“For right now, I’m focused on my classes. It’s really hard, I don’t want to get A’s any more I just want to pass my classes,” Hernandez admitted.

Being in the nursing program, with the pressure of exams and homework can be really stressful. To deal with the stress of being in university, she bought herself a bike which she usually rides for 30 minutes at a time to decompress.

“It’s a lot of homework, we have to do ATIs (nurse exams), we have to get certificates, midterms, finals, tests, case studies, quizzes, it’s just a lot of homework,” she described.

For people in college, it can already be stressful and time-consuming. Hernandez has a strict schedule which she tries to do every day.

“Well I wake up at 6:45 a.m., I get ready to go to school. I have a class from 9 to 12 then I have lunch with my friends from 12 to 1. After I study all day at the library until till 10 p.m. On Fridays, I go to the hospital from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. to do nursing tasks which I get hours for the nursing program to graduate,” she said.

During her 8th grade year, her middle school held a presentation in which she was introduced to the Health Science Magnet at Martin High School. There she fell in love with the nursing career.

“I have always loved helping people and at the time, I wanted to become a Border Patrol agent but I didn’t like guns so I couldn’t choose that. So I choose to become a nurse where I could help people who truly needed it,” she stated.

A few important lessons Hernandez has learned is time management and making smart decisions.

I want to be confident in my skills and I want to have learned a lot.”

— Valeria Hernandez

“Throughout my school years, I’ve really learned how to prioritize what I have to do on a daily basis. From homework to everyday tasks at home, like doing homework and when to exercise,” she said.

When she was in high school, she was in the health science program at Martin High School. She was able to get a job as soon as she graduated which gave her the opportunity to buy what she needed for school.

“I have invested a lot of money, especially just to get into the nursing program. There’s a program that we have to buy and it costs $500, to do our homework. Plus the uniforms, the shoes, it’s very expensive. I’ve invested over like $1,000,” she said.

Since she worked as an EMT out of high school and actively is trying to become a nurse. She has had plenty of experience with patients and can really compare the two.

“As a nurse, you communicate with the patient at a personal and intimate level. But as an EMT you just treat them for 10 minutes. It’s completely different,” Hernandez stated.

Once she graduates from the TAMIU and the nursing program, she hopes to put everything she has learned to use in a nursing job.

“I want to be confident in my skills and I want to have learned a lot. I want to get a job where I really like working at,” she noted.

Although she isn’t sure what her future will be, she has an idea of what she wants to do.

“I still don’t know on what type of nurse yet, but working in the emergency room and the ICU (intensive care unit) sounds really interesting to me,” she said.

Hernandez has been in TAMIU for 2 years and her last 2 years are going to be for the nursing program. Afterward, she sees herself being successful in her medical field and hopes to have her own family.

“In 5 years, career-wise, I see myself as a nurse working and getting my nurse practitioner [degree]. Family wise, I see myself living in a house with my husband and maybe one kid,” Hernandez said.

As the middle child in her family, Valeria has really succeeded in life in such a short period of time. At only 21 years old, she has really gone above and beyond to pursue the career she has strived for years. Through the exams, assignments, countless hours of studying, and the undeniable stress of just trying to get where she is right now is amazing.