Federal employee shares her government shutdown troubles

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hundreds rally at the White House for an end to the government shutdown during the 
protests of 2018–2019, on January 10, 2019.

Hundreds rally at the White House for an end to the government shutdown during the protests of 2018–2019, on January 10, 2019.

The Magnet Tribune: Creative Commons 2.0

Zoe Alvarez, Staff writer

The name has been changed to protect the federal employee’s identity

Kristen Davis is one of the many 800,000 federal employees who was affected by the last government shutdown. When the shutdown was first announced, Davis paid little attention due to the fact that the previous shutdown was short lasting.

“I didn’t think much about it because the prior shutdown was quickly resolved,” she said in a written interview.

In the first moments of finding out about the shutdown, Davis believed the disputes would be settled rather than become an ongoing argument in Washington D.C.

“At the moment I felt as though it would be resolved,” she said.

Like numerous federal employees, Davis’ was affected as well in regards to her and her family.

“In certain ways, it has affected our daily life,” she said.

To save money when there was no income on her part, Davis and her family cut costs by not eating out and only spending on necessities.

“We’ve definitely stopped spending money on things such as takeout food,” she said.

Davis said she still had a job to do during the government shutdown regardless of her not being paid.

“I continued to work during the shutdown,” she said.

She described the atmosphere at work as worried and distraught during the government shutdown.

“Most of everyone at work was so concerned and saddened by the whole shutdown,” she said.

Davis dealt with this situation by making an effort to show optimism and faith in making the best of the shutdown.

“I’m trying to stay positive and hopeful,” she said in a written interview.

Most of everyone at work so concerned and saddened by the whole shutdown.”

— Kristen Davis

This shutdown has indeed taken its toll on federal employees across the nation. Davis felt its emotional and mental effects as she contemplated how soon the shutdown would come to an end.

“To a certain extent it has affected everyone emotionally and mentally because we are constantly wondering when this will end,” she said in an interview during the shutdown.

Her constituents made what they could out of this shutdown.

To a certain extent it has affected everyone emotionally and mentally because we are constantly wondering when this will end.”

— Kristen Davis

“Coworkers are trying to deal with this situation as best as possible,” she said.

Government employees assisted each other during this time of hardships. This may be through financial assistance or introducing each other to non-profit organizations that aid federal employees.

“Federal workers are trying to help each other out it be simply by sharing information as to the resources/services available to federal employees,” she said.

Davis found this government shutdown impacted many of the nation’s employees for quite a while.

“This shutdown has been the longest ever and unfortunately there are too many people that have been affected by it,” she said.

This shutdown has been the longest ever and unfortunately there are too many people that have been affected by it.”

— Kristen Davis

She also found comfort in the idea that the government shutdown would end sooner than later.

“I would like to think that this shutdown will end soon,” she said during the event.

Davis found that constant media coverage is an updater rather than a nuisance due to its information and progress in Washington D.C.

“News coverage helped out because it gives us an idea if any progress has been made,” she said.

News coverage helped out because it gives us an idea if any progress has been made.”

— Kristen Davis

About the Writer