Junior juggles demands of color guard and nursing classes

Natalie Morales studies at Dr. Dennis D. Cantu Health Science Magnet and is the color guard captain at J. W. Nixon High School.

The Magnet Tribune: Kassandra Garcia

Kassandra Garcia, Staff Writer

By day she faces the challenges of her nursing classes. After school are more challenges as color guard captain.

Natalie Morales, 16, junior, has been captain of the J. W. Nixon High color guard for about two years; yet, she never imagined herself being a captain, mainly because she did not feel she was a born leader. It was not until she tried out alongside four other girls that she found out she enjoyed the experience.

Although she did not imagine being captain, she was motivated to try out.

“My captain freshman year told me I was a good leader. Also band members gave me motivation to try out for such title,” Natalie added.

Natalie dedicates most of her time to be a great leader to her color guard, practicing for about 2 ½ hours a day for winter guard during fall and winter and several more hours for marching band during spring and summer.

Natalie deals with everyday pressure, not only from her studies as a certified nurse assistant but also as the color guard captain.

That if you try hard every day you can get to a high place in your band and competitions.”

— Kassandra Garcia

With tasks that big comes great responsibilities. Natalie stays under pressure by organizing what she needs and should get done.

According to Natalie, there are good and bad days in color guard. Yet Natalie strives to be an inspirational leader and to be able to show that everything is possible if people try their hardest and fight for what they want and need.

“I enjoy the guard. They make everything so fun and I just love standing on the field representing the Nixon band and color guard at the award ceremonies,” she said of receiving honors when the groups win competitions.

Although she describes her studies and her role as captain as fun she also commented that she least enjoys the stress and the feeling of disappointing one of her band directors or teachers.

She faces many challenges in both her color guard and studies. One of the many being not having the enough budget to get everything they want in winter guard, the competition season for color guard.

Another challenge she faces regularly is trying her best to balance out her time for her studies and her color guard. Other than that another challenge she faces is passing her classes with high scores.

As of right now her focus is to help her color guard grow into a great guard and place at TECA, Texas Educational Color Guard Association.

Natalie has many goals for 2019. She wishes to accomplish the goal of placing at TECA competition and to be able to grow the color guard. Another wish being hers is joining her band as a finalist at BOA, Bands of America.

A third wish is to pass all her CNA classes.

Through the years she has learned plenty of lessons.

“Being captain isn’t an easy responsibility. It does come with responsibilities as a captain and co-captain,” Natalie said. “That if you try hard every day you can get to a high place in your band and competitions.”