Nixon fullback looks forward to his final two years

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nixon sophomore fullback Pablo Tovar gains a few yards against Zapata in a pre-district game last season.

The Magnet Tribune: courtesy of Pablo Tovar

Fernando Martinez, Staff Writer

Pablo Tovar is a sophomore at Nixon High School that has been playing varsity football for the Mustangs since his freshman year.

Tovar emerged to the varsity scene with a lot of support, getting recognition from Laredo Morning Times, and even becoming one of the primary fullbacks for the Mustangs this past season.

Tovar explains how he felt at first towards making the varsity team.

“I was pretty excited but nervous at the same time because I knew the game against Martin was going to have a big crowd, and I didn’t want to mess up my first varsity game. I now feel as if I have to be a leader and an example for the younger guys, and I know I have to perform better next season,” he said.

Tovar states he is unsure about pursuing a career in football, wishing to focus more on his education.

The biggest goal for me is to help the team get to playoffs and just to have a better season overall. To get there everyone on the team will have to step out of their comfort zone and work harder.”

— Pablo Tovar

“If I can have a career in football that would be great, but I’d rather study and get a career in the medical field. I’m not sure if I want to play college ball, but I really want to put my education in front of anything,” he said.

Tovar talks about the biggest challenge the Mustangs faced this season.

“The biggest challenge was definitely moving up to the 6-A division, and even after losing a couple of games, everyone on the team was working as hard as they could and doing everything they can to make us better,” he said.

Tovar said that his favorite memory of the season was winning the rivalry game against Martin.

Tovar explained how his goals got set back after getting injured in his sophomore year.

“I didn’t get to meet most of my goals because I got injured during the first district game. I didn’t get to help out my team in the games that I wasn’t able to play in, but that pushes me to work harder and meet those goals next season,” he said.

Tovar explained a goal he has for the upcoming season.

“The biggest goal for me is to help the team get to playoffs and just to have a better season overall. To get there everyone on the team will have to step out of their comfort zone and work harder,” he said.

Tovar hopes to get the Mustangs to success in his two final seasons.

“The future for us definitely looks brighter and we will continue to work as hard as we possibly can,” he said. “To get it there I will do everything I can, which is to know what to do in every single situation and try to help those around me.”