High school sophomore shares his take on young love

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

Zoe Alvarez, Staff writer

It was a cool day on Valentine’s Day as high school sophomore Christopher Adams shared his perspective on young love.

Like everything growing up, he found young love to be rather “awkward” but nonetheless enjoyable. He believes these are the memories that are cherished as one grows older.

“For me, young love is an awkward but sometimes lovely experience that’s treasured as a part of growing up,” he said as he reminisced.

Perception of love, especially between two adults, varies from person to person. To Christopher, two adults who are in love consists of two fully developed adults who acknowledge their passion for each other as well as their consideration and respect for one another.

“It’s two mature people who not only recognize their deep infatuation for each other but also their compassion and openness for one another,” he said.

He finds that these factors can lead to long fruitful bonds.

“It can lead to everlasting relationships,” he said.

After careful contemplation, Christopher concluded that the contrast between teens in love and adults in love is the level of maturity in the relationship.

“The difference between teens in love and adults being in love is the maturity of the romance,” he said.

Love within teenagers is rather safe with a rush of sensations, a roller coaster per se. Christopher says this is the kind of relationship where one’s heart is beating quickly when their crush is around. The kind where a simple touch from one’s crush can ignite a fire within the heart or let hundreds on butterflies loose in one’s stomach. It is a sweet kind of love. Teenagers can be quickly caught up in these emotions and end up in a haste to jump into relationships.

“Teenage love is often foreign and rushed or innocent,” he said.

Christopher believes that adults in love are on the opposite side of the spectrum. Mature people take time to cultivate their love into proper relationships. He finds that this helps the relationship continue to grow. They also have realistic ambition compared to teenagers in love.

“Adults who are in love take time to develop a relationship together and therefore stay much longer with realistic life goals than their younger counterparts,” he said.

Regardless of his perception and opinions, he believes it varies from every age group’s relationship.

“Despite this, it’s not always the case for some adult or young relationships,” he said.

Contrary to various beliefs, Christopher considers teenagers in love as valid. This is only to a specific degree.

“I believe teen relationships are valid to a certain extent,” he said.

He finds that a fulfilling and influential the falling in love at first may be, it is not the exact implication of what mature love is like as one grows older.

“Although it’s a first experience on what love feels like, that not necessarily always a good example of what mature love may be later on in life,” he said.

If not cared for correctly, young love may spring up negative consequences when problems arise within the relationship.

“Some of these relationships can be controlled by toxic factors and present many flaws that often lead to the downfall at such young relationships,” he said.

Christopher’s checklist for teenagers legitimately in love consists of these following questions:

• Do the young teens not only share the same intense infatuation for each other but also share loving compassion and support for one another?
  • Do they enjoy each other’s company even without the need for public affection?
  • Are there any signs of respect for one another’s emotions and space?

If the answers are ‘yes’ then congratulations, these teenagers are healthily in love. If these questions were not answered it could be due to the result of teenage desire.

“If not it could be another case of teen lust,” he said.

Christopher believes that the true idea of love varies from teen to teen.

“The definition of real love differs from every teen,” he said.

Teenager’s perspectives are heavily influenced by the kind of love they see daily.

“It depends on the maturity level and everyday examples of love that teenagers see that give them an idea of what real love might feel like,” he said.

His sense of love is on the kind of relationship his parents have had.

“My idea of real love is based on the relationship my mother and father sustained for twenty-two years through many hardships and tragedies they’ve experienced together,” he said.

About the Photographer