LISD renovations are heading to South Laredo

The+Board+of+Trustees+on+their+September+17%2C+2019+Board+Meeting.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Board of Trustees on their September 17, 2019 Board Meeting.

Victoria Hernandez, Staff Writer

Laredo Independent School District is planning on improving both Dr. Leo G. Gigarroa High School and Dr. Joaquin G. Cigarroa Middle School, including accompanying schools. 

The district began the discussion for the remodeling back in February 2018 when there was a bond proposition of $150 million for remodeling of district facilities. The bond would cover a new building for Cigarroa Middle School, renovate Cigarroa High School, elementary schools in the South, build new ROTC buildings at Nixon High School and renovate Martin High School’s science/multipurpose building.

The bond was then added to the May ballot to be up for a vote. The bond was approved and the citizens of South Laredo would also have their taxes raised, according to the Laredo Morning Times.

During the election in May, South Laredo residents participated in a vote on whether to approve the bond. Over 64% of voters were for the renovations, while 36% of voters opposed the renovations. 

With the renovations, LISD’s property taxes will approximately increase by 14 cents from $1.3697 per $100 property valuation to $1.5152, to pay for the construction of the renovations, the state of Texas will pay for 70% while LISD will pay for 30%. 

On Sept. 17, the LISD Board of Trustees held a meeting to decide whether to approve the two agenda items to have Cigarroa Middle School be its own campus in its own location, separated from Cigarroa High School. 

LISD’s plan is to begin the official talks of approving the purchase and then buying land in the Lomas Del Sur subdivision. The official description of both projects is from the Laredo ISD September 17, 2019 Board Meeting are below.

• The first part, #23, is for buying land for the Cigarroa Middle School
    • #23 “Discussion and possible action regarding the potential acquisition of real property for a new campus and/or location for Cigarroa Middle School and facilities. Possible Closed Session pursuant to Texas Government Code Sections 551.071 and 551.072. Dr. Sylvia G. Rios, Superintendent of Schools”
  • The second part, #24, is buying a section of the Lomas del Sur to build the new Cigarroa Middle School campus. 
    • #24 “Discussion and possible action to approve the purchase of platted lots and/or unplatted acreage in the Lomas del Sur Subdivision, and area, of the City of Laredo for a new campus for Cigarroa Middle School and facilities. Possible Closed Session pursuant to Texas Government Code Sections 551.071 and 551.072. Dr. Sylvia G. Rios, Superintendent of Schools”

Monica Garcia motioned to approve the purchase of lots and acres in the Lomas Del Sur Subdivision and for LISD Superintendent Sylvia G. Rios to approve the purchases. Both plans for the Cigarroa Middle School campus were approved by all members present. 

During an Oct. 17 board meeting, the board decided to take no action on the purchases but to have their lawyers review the plan for the new campus.