8th grader has a variety of interests

Back to Article
Back to Article

8th grader has a variety of interests

Dwayne Herrera, known as

Dwayne Herrera, known as "The Theme," is interested in hip hop, sports, and video games.

The Magnet Tribune: Fernando Martinez

The Magnet Tribune: Fernando Martinez

The Magnet Tribune: Fernando Martinez

Fernando Martinez, Staff Writer

Dwayne Herrera, otherwise known as “The Theme,” enjoys making hip hop music, playing sports, and playing video games.

Herrera, in the 8th grade, described a past experience that he has learned from.

“Friends can always turn their backs on you,” he said. “Lots of people at school used to support me when it came to making music, and now a lot of those people talk bad behind my back, but yet again they all want to make music just like me.”

Herrera looks up to two celebrities in the hip hop world.

“J. Cole and Travis Scott are celebrities that I look up to because both are really humble and started off from a really hard background, also because I can relate to them a lot,” Herrera said.

His best childhood memory was his first pair of Jordan’s in the 4th grade.

“I remember getting them straight out of the box,” he said. “I was so excited when I got to wear them for the first time, and that has to be my favorite childhood memory because I never had shoes like that before.”

Herrera explains he is known as “The Theme” because it is meant to represent lessons he has learned, and it is the name he releases his music under.

J. Cole and Travis Scott are celebrities that I look up to because both are really humble and started off from a really hard background, also because I can relate to them a lot.”

— Dwayne Herrera

Herrera has a variety of interests he follows in his free time.

”I like playing sports like football and soccer,” he said. ”I also like playing video games, listening to music, and making my own music,” he said.

He described his plans once he graduates from high school.

“I want to go to LSU and join football, stick to making music and travel places, or maybe become an auto mechanic as a backup job,” he explains.

He plans on attending Louisiana State University once he graduates, because he feels like they have a great athletics program.

Herrera sees himself in 20 years, reaching his goals, and doing what he always wanted to do, like a career in music.

Herrera described something important to him that he wished he could do all over again.

“Meeting the important people in my life,” he said. “Meeting them all over again would be pretty cool in my opinion because they are people that have made a big impact on my life, and they were always there for me.”

He said it is important for people to follow their passion, and to never let anyone make them think differently, no matter what.

Herrera described something that not a lot of people know about him.

“I’m just a chill, nice, creative, funny person, and I have a lot of creativity when it comes to working on projects, either for school, or at home,” he said.

Herrera added how dreams are important to people’s lives.

“Your dreams keep on living unless you let them die,” he said.