The Bug: Social media’s negative side impacts peoples’ lives

November 3, 2016

Back to Article
Back to Article

People using social media will often turn their backs on others. This photo shows how people do not interact because of social media.

The Magnet Tribune: Justyne Bernal

The Magnet Tribune: Justyne Bernal

The Magnet Tribune: Justyne Bernal

Social media is everywhere we turn. It’s something that affects us each day even if we use our electronic devices or not. When we don’t use social media our surroundings are still living on it. I feel as if we can never erase social media from our lives even if we make an effort to do so. It is simply everywhere.

We could talk about how fast social media has rapidly changed and spread over a short period of time but we would never finish. The truth is that social media changes each day and will continue to do so. Everyday, more and more people are becoming more reliant on these social media sites. In my perspective, social media distracts many people, especially students, from living up to their full potential.

Social media has become so powerful that it has made us feel that without it, we cannot survive.  It is like an addictive drug to people of all ages. The question is: is social media our friend or our greatest enemy?

I find that social media is not our friend, it is our enemy. However, I have come to realize that there is positivity in social media such as staying in touch with family, friends, getting information and more. We always seem to feel that we cannot live our daily lives without social media when in reality everything that we are able to do in social media such as communicating can be done in other ways.

Many teenagers always think and wish that they would have lived in old times. Where social media was never an option. When being cool was not getting the most likes on a picture. When all you needed to do was go outside and call out all your neighborhood friends to have fun. There was never a cellphone to suck the fun out of being a child.

Social media is everywhere we turn. It’s something that affects us each day even if we use our electronic devices or not. When we don’t use social media our surroundings are still living on it. I feel as if we can never erase social media from our lives even if we make an effort to do so. It is simply everywhere.”

— Justyne Bernal

Social media has the strong ability to control our lives. Not only how it handles us during certain times but rather how we are personally affected during those moments.

We have come to rely on social media so much that every time a post or picture goes viral it’s in our nature to believe it. The post can be ridiculous and many will still believe it. This is why I believe that it has become like a drug to people because no matter how bad it is for them, they will stop at nothing.

I find that the biggest reason why social media is our enemy is because it makes us into something we are not. Social media can easily create a certain image. Now it is so easy for other users to change who you are. Someone could put something on social media such as a popular fashion trend. If that person gets a lot of likes and shares, then everyone feels the need to fulfill the trend.

Each day we use social media, there will never be one where you don’t see someone judge another person. It allows others to quickly judge you if you don’t have anything that is “in” at the time.

Social media in my perspective is a tool for bullies. Many bullies use Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, etc. to bash people. So many arguments go on each day on social media that will never occur face to face.

I think this falls into social media being able to put an image on you. You can pretend to be anyone so easily. You can easily act different or be who you aren’t. It is so easy to put a fake reputation of yourself on social media.

In addition, I have observed that social media is very dangerous, especially for teenagers. You practically put all your information out into the open for all the world to see. You may have majority of your things private but people always find ways to get the information they need. Nowadays, anything is possible.

Social media is such a huge distraction that I believe wastes a lot of time. When I’m at gatherings it isn’t even about speaking to each other and having actual conversations anymore. It is mainly everyone on their phones, wasting valuable time that could be spent making memories with those around them.

I always think about how the people in our generation’s lives have come to revolve around social media. How so many moments are not cherished the way they should be but rather how some people have decided to base themselves off of what they see on social media.