The Bug: Racism continues to evolve in various ways

March 3, 2017

Racism is everywhere we turn, no matter how much we deny it. This issue has been around for many years and it hasn’t seemed to clear up yet and I believe it never will. It is such a heartache to those who are discriminated and even to those who aren’t. Every person, every race, has been discriminated in some way.

I believe that racism has always been a big issue in America and continues to arise. Growing up around so many different races has allowed me to gain a different perspective of the world.

I live in Laredo where there is a combination of many races and ethnic groups, but the majority are Mexican being a border city. Growing up I never really paid much attention to racism because these issues seemed to be clearing up but now it is arising once again. Yes, I did learn about the early times and slavery but now everything is so different. It is like racism is continuously growing but in different ways.

It is such a heartache to those who are discriminated against and even to those who aren’t.”

— Justyne Bernal

I am now a teenager that lives in Laredo, afraid. Afraid of what tomorrow might bring for my city and all the people in it, no matter what race they are. I am scared for the people who wake up each day and are afraid of deportation. Afraid for my classmates that fear that one day they will go home to no parents, no grandparents, no family. Not only here in my city, but all over this country where people of all races are afraid to live their lives because of their race.

Every year we hear and learn about the American Dream. How it has become everyone’s goal to achieve. I have learned that many people come to America because of this, how many people work to the greatest extent of their ability to be a citizen in this country.

As I was born in America, I cannot say that I struggle to live the American Dream. But I can say that I am able to see beyond the words, and only wish that everyone had the same opportunities no matter what race they are.

So many cases in the country continue to portray racism, from police harassments to African Americans to the 45th president’s speeches.

It scares me how racism is growing more and more each day. I don’t think that any young people should be afraid of what the future holds for us due to our race.

We do not get to choose our race nor ethnicity, it’s just something that we are born into. We should not be treated any differently; everyone should be treated equal because that is the way it should to be.