Observations: DACA recipients shouldn’t be given a free pass

Citizens+protest+the+Trump+administration%27s+decision+to+end+the+DACA+program.+
Citizens protest the Trump administration's decision to end the DACA program.

The Magnet Tribune: Creative Commons

The Magnet Tribune: Creative Commons

Aryanna Rodriguez, Observations Columnist

In June of 2012 President Barack Obama and his administration passed an executive order, called the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, also known as DACA, that gave undocumented children temporary permission to live, study, and work legally in the United States. Current President Donald Trump’s Administration recently ended DACA and gave Congress six months to create an alternative plan for the thousands of undocumented people who are part of the program. However, there has been much discussion by people throughout the country on whether passing legislation protecting these undocumented people should be enacted.

I do not believe that Congress should pass legislation that would allow these undocumented immigrants, who were brought to the United States as children, to remain in the United States. One reason would be because President Obama did not have the constitutional power to do what DACA does.

The United States is famous for being the land of opportunity, prosperity, and diversity; therefore, it is understandable that most of these children are here wanting to live the American dream, but I don’t think it’s fair to all the other people who had to wait years to get their residency. The process to obtain residency can take many years. There are many individuals who were immigrants for years living in the United States with a green card while in the process. Many individuals who were not eligible for DACA are currently trying to get their residency.

Many children and young adults who were eligible for DACA are now concerned with how it could end. There are many who claim they don’t even have family in Mexico and they don’t know what they will do if they get deported. Many also say it’s unfair to them because if DACA ends badly they will get deported in the middle of their studies here or even in the middle of their careers.

I am not against children in the living in the U.S. and living the American dream, but I do believe they should be doing it the right and fair way. I believe immigrants have the right to live the American dream as much a U.S. citizens; however, I don’t agree with the fact that adults bring children into the U.S. under the impression that they will get a free pass.

The Trump Administration has left the issue up to Congress so it can be debated and so a decision can be made. The issue is now in Congress’s hands and the Administration is hoping Congress does not only what is best for DACA recipients but what is best for all the other people as well.