Spotlight: Students protest for gun control

Mauro Flores, Spotlight Columnist

In the first 13 weeks of 2018 there were 10 school shootings — about 1.4 shootings per week.

Students from a high school decided to do something about this situation.

The survivors from the Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida co-founded the “Never Again MSD” gun control organization and “March for Our Lives,” a march for gun control.

Fight for your lives, before its someone else’s job.”

— Emma Gonzalez

Emma Gonzalez, a shooting victim and student, spoke at this march and paid her respects by remaining quiet for six minutes, which is how long the shooting took.

“Since the time that I came out here, it has been six minutes and 20 seconds, the shooter has ceased shooting, and will soon abandon his rifle, blend in with the students as they escape, and walk free for an hour before his arrest. Fight for your lives, before its someone else’s job,” Gonzalez said at the rally.

I stand and support these survivors in demanding U.S lawmakers take action. School shootings should not happen in any place in the world. Such tragedies could be avoided if there were laws that prohibit an age restriction to the purchase of any type of deadly weapons.

Gonzalez is an 18 year old who inspires many others and me that our voices are important and can make a difference.

The voices of these students were heard when the Florida Legislature passed a bill titled the Marjory Stoneman Douglass High School Public Safety Act. It raises the minimum age for buying firearms to 21. No person will be sold a gun without a 3-day waiting period and a background check.

I thank these students for what they have achieved so far, how many people they have moved, and what changes they will make next. I encourage you to support and donate to this worthy cause at Marchforourlives.com.