Experiences: Cellphone cameras delete memories from real life

The Magnet Tribune: photosforclass.com
Memories can sometimes be erased by the emphasis of recording the moment on an electronic device.

Lucero Rea, Experiences columnist

We have done this at least one time in our lives: Whipped out our mobile device to take a picture of the sky that is too appealing to not remember, or secretly snapped a particularly splendid plate at a restaurant.

It’s really obvious that we take pictures and record our lives to preserve our memories from disappearing; however, the majority of individuals take photos to not keep them as memories, but rather “show off” where they are and how they are feeling at the moment.

Therefore, trying to capture a significant moment by using a phone is not letting individuals live and appreciate the moment.

The first thing most individuals do when anything for the slightest bit is picture- or video-worthy is to record this occasion for all posterity. Prepared with phones and ready to record on an instant’s notice, countless individuals are not truly present at the most exciting events they may ever encounter.

Most individuals will share their moment with as many people as possible and look back on it devotedly years from now, recalling that great experience. However, looking at it on a tiny phone screen is not actually being in the real world. A camera can detach an individual from being involved in the actual world. It is a mistake to deliberately call photos “memories” because the picture will be identical each time someone sees it, but memories will eventually change. Someone’s memory at the end is way more active than a photo will ever be.

An individual’s eyes are much fairer to a view at dusk than is the greatest filter.”

— Lucero Rea

One of the vital characteristics of internal peace is the capacity to preserve your mind to stay wherever you are. If an individual is at a concert, the mind should be at the concert. An individual’s attention is not supposed to be carrying over how many likes they are getting on social media while the singer they supposedly “admire” and paid a lot to see is performing.

Another exasperating situation is when an individual goes out somewhere to have a good time, but when they realize other people are enjoying their day at another place, their jealousy kicks in. The mind desires to be in two different places at the same time, and its obviously impossible, yet the senseless mind is hooked to all the 21st-century devices.

There is an abundance of mistaken things that smartphones do to us in our everyday routines and we don’t realize it, such as children in strollers playing with a smartphone rather than a toy, which is what they should be having in their hands. Teenage couples that go out on a date take out their smartphone and photograph their moment which then leads to the constant checking of their social media. Individuals cross the street with eyes on their digital device, bumping into each other, falling, or having a serious accident.

Don’t stop a memorable time. Put away your smartphone and just enjoy the moment. We must stop and remember things with our eyes, and not through a lens. Every so often, the camera might become a wall to the real world. Keeping your memories through photos is a lovely thing, but when the memories begin and end with pictures, then there is an issue. An individual’s eyes are much fairer to a view at dusk than is the greatest filter.