Thoughtful Thursday: Living in the moment

Zoe Alvarez, Thoughtful Thursday columnist

Live in the moment. Such a cliché to many, but a true statement to those who know its meaning. I myself didn’t truly take it to heart until I experienced and understood what it meant.

Living in the moment is taking in everything in your surroundings. Take in the sounds, the aromas, the tastes, the sensations, and the emotions. It’s almost like being on a natural high when taking in the moment. It’s such a powerful thing for me.

In my junior year, I remember I had no time to finish my mango tea in my first class, so I took it to my second class which is orchestra. I quickly set up my instrument and music then stood by the door and drank my tea. It was then that I was hit with a realization. I was living and experiencing everything and everyone around me. I could feel the cup of tea in my hands, I could taste the mango, feel its warmth as I drank it. I could hear all the violins, violas, cellos, and basses playing. I could see everyone talking and playing. I was in a state of peace and happiness.

I didn’t think much of it then. Later, at home, I shared my day with my mother and shared my experience with her. She told me I was living in the moment. I didn’t know I was and I finally understood that I indeed was living in the moment. She told me I inspired her to live in the moment more often. That ironically inspired me to live in the moment more often as well.

Since then I began experiencing things differently. I took in everything and everyone in my surroundings. I paid much more attention to what I felt, heard, saw, smelled, and tasted. I gave my senses all the attention. I thought less and lived more.

Sometimes we’re too focused on what our future holds that we forget to live in the moment. My simple fix to this is to stop thinking. Stop thinking about work, your week ahead, your problems. Drop all that and live in the moment. I promise the results are rewarding. Life is wonderful once you start to take in all the moments, whether big or small. It can as big as going to a music festival and your favorite band plays your favorite song to the small moments like playing Uno with your friends while it rained outside.

Once you accomplish this you’ll notice this new sense of awareness. Life will become much more intriguing and lovelier. That’s also what living in the moment is, awareness of everything around you and enjoying that experience. It’s truly enlightening. I know its changed my perspective on life. I already enjoyed so many moments and I’ve only been doing this for about a week. Life truly gives us many moments to live and love.