Experiences: People facing the end deserve dignity

Incurably+sick+people+should+have+the+option+of+ending+their+own+lives+through+legalized+euthanasia.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Incurably sick people should have the option of ending their own lives through legalized euthanasia.

The Magnet Tribune: Mark Webber

The Magnet Tribune: Mark Webber

The Magnet Tribune: Mark Webber

Lucero Rea, Experiences columnist

Society has adapted to combat diseases that have killed many individuals throughout time. Nevertheless, there are still many illnesses that cannot be cured and cause unbelievable pain to individuals who have it. Euthanasia is the practice of ending the patient’s life to put an end to the painful misery they are in through a lethal substance provided by a physician.  The patients who consider euthanasia would be terminally ill or suffering an abundance of pain.

Nowadays euthanasia is still illegal in various countries due to the controversy that it has when certain individuals define it as immoral.  When an individual is dying or in endless pain, some countries should contribute to their last wishes and if one of their wishes is to end their suffering, then it should not be taken as a crime. The practice of euthanasia is the most painless way for the patient to die, and it should not be labeled as a crime because with it they are just ending the anguish individuals are in.

There is no other greater reason to legalize euthanasia other than the fact that certain individuals want to die with dignity and should have the right to. Individuals need to have the right to decide what happens with their bodies and should not be forced to deal with their mental or physical pain until their whole body completely dies.

Individuals who own pets have the moral responsibility to euthanize them when they are in pain; How come this does not apply to human beings or a loved one who is dealing with the same pain? Restricting an individual’s right to death is like restraining their right to life.

One of the many things people with an incurable sickness must deal with is the loss of control of their lives. Individuals with a painful disease that is never-ending do not have control of their own health at some point, and eventually, they are not capable of taking care of their basic needs; all they have at the end is the compassion of doctors and loved ones. These individuals are close to death and the reality is that they cannot find another option other than euthanasia. The majority of individuals do not want their last moments to be spent in a hospital bed and definitely not with an abundance of pain consuming their whole body.

It should be stated that keeping life in a person with a critical condition is cruel and is generally accompanied by an agonizing pain. Sometimes a patient might attempt to commit suicide to put an end to the pain they are in and living for certain patients is worse than death itself. Euthanasia is not at all killing someone’s life but is bringing a patient’s unavoidable death faster. There is no evidence to think that the treatment for such diseases as brain cancer will be developed in the future.

Today, despite high-tech and scientific development, particularly in the procedures in the health of a person, there is still uncertainty and disagreement over the idea of a soothing death. The moral and legalization of the idea of euthanasia are still commonly argued in many countries.

There are numerous thoughts on the principles of individuals morals and their certain religious beliefs that make this euthanasia controversy never ending. Religious individuals argue that the right to decide when a person dies is only God’s and we do not have the authority to decide when our life will end. However, no god or other religious matter is going to “relish” the misery these terminally-ill patients are in on a daily basis. Euthanasia is definitely not a sin like certain individuals harshly describe it.

After the legalization of euthanasia in Belgium there was a high number of organ donors from the patients who requested euthanasia. Donation after euthanasia could possibly help raise the numbers of organs for transplantation. If only certain patients experiencing euthanasia donated one organ, euthanasia could possibly help decrease the waitlist and save someone else’s life.

Many patients die in a hospital bed every year waiting for a transplant. After the hard decision that euthanasia patients take in regard to their life, they can still give life to another human being even after death.

The only compassionate choice is to let individuals who are in pain to choose when to end it. Disagreements in the legalization of euthanasia and how they are imposed have led to hesitation in individuals. If individuals do not discuss these issues openly and directly, we will keep on sustaining doubt and a not regulated practice of euthanasia with the concern and fear of any criminal charge.

The main target of the health profession should continue being saving people’s lives but should not be at the cost of an individual’s suffering. Terminally ill people have the ultimate right to indicate when to end their life and with dignity.

About the Contributors
Mark Webber, Instructor

Mark Webber, a founding faculty member at Vidal M. Treviño, is in his 26th year as an instructor in the print journalism/online media program. He is...