Thoughtful Thursday: The law of attraction

The writer's brother stands under a light at night.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

Zoe Alvarez, Thoughtful Thursday columnist

Out of the many things I’ve learned from my mother: she’s taught me the law of attraction. The law of attraction states that what you think you attract, whether it be positive or negative.

For example, if you say you’re going to fail or do bad on an exam, chances are you will. It will attract all the negative energy the universe can give you. The constant negativity and bad mentality will affect your chances of rising above and doing well. This will cause you to do badly on said exam.

Once my mother introduced this concept to me, I had a grand revelation. She was correct. What I think I indeed attract. This meant I had to work to make sure I avoided attracting bad vibes. (thinking negatively) I practiced silencing my doubts and thoughts and instead reassured myself with hope and positivity.

For those with a bad mentality, “realists” or “pessimists” you may call yourselves, take the law of attraction to heart. The constant pessimism feeds into the negative attraction. Thinking “I will never do good in life” attracts negative energy. Keep doing that and it is certain that never excelling will be the case. Yes, this concept is indeed difficult to incorporate in our daily lives.

It’s not something that can be done instantly. As they say, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Here’s what you can do. Instead of “I’m going to fail,” “I’m in a bad mood,” “I’m going to be late,” try “I’m going to do well,” “All is good, I can feel better,” “I will make it in time.” Take refuge in the fact that you are capable of passing that test, in the fact that you are capable of seeing the good in the day and snapping out of that bad mood, in the fact that there is the capability of making it in time.

There were times where I felt waves of negativity. My brother had a band competition out of town and my family and I left town late. Things weren’t looking so good and it was clear that we weren’t going to make it. Traffic, rain, and longer routes all came into play. A few of us became negative and lost some hope. I kept the positive mentality as much as I could and with a blessing, we made it just in time to my brother’s competition.

I’m not saying that constantly thinking positive will guarantee positive results. This is my philosophy. One I find that works with me. Maybe I won’t work with you or maybe it will. It’s up to you to think positive and attract all the good things the universe will give you. But the question remains, what will you attract?

Song for today: Ride by Twenty One Pilots

About the Photographer