Thoughtful Thursday: Spending time with kids

The+writer+spent+a+day+in+Disney+World%27s+Magic+Kingdom.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The writer spent a day in Disney World's Magic Kingdom.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

Zoe Alvarez, Thoughtful Thursday columnist

Every few months I volunteer at the Imaginarium. The Imaginarium is a museum of playful and educational exhibits for children. This means I get the opportunity to help out staff and spend time with kids.

Spending time with children is always an enlightening experience. They have a sense of excitement like no other. As I would play with the kids each of them would speak in their own way. No two children spoke the same. They all had something to say whether it was what as on their mind or which colors they wanted to use when coloring.

They are all so eager to tell me about their drawings and creations. When they didn’t know my name I was “lady,” “girl,” and sometimes “mom.” After they learned my name I had a wave of “Zoes” calling me to show me what they made. It’s a fulfilling experience to see kids create something they take pride in and are eager to show you. I had great conversations with these little ones especially when drawing, playing, or building. I always like to ask them what they are making and drawing. They invite me to join their little world of imagination, whether it was a supercar or dream house. I got to take part in helping them build or find the pieces for said supercar or dream house.

Children are open minded. They don’t immediately shoot down an idea like people do when they grow up. They take the idea, whether good or bad, and make something with it. I would give a child random Lego pieces and he in return would build a spaceship with a garden full of flowers.

I find that spending time with children is rejuvenating. Kids are honest and open. I get to spend time with genuine human beings who want to build Lego houses, tell me about their day, talk about their siblings, and more. Children carry a spark, whether it be joy, energy, or creativity. They give me bursts of physical and mental energy. It guides my mind to a state of creativity. I get nostalgic when I see the children playing or sharing their favorite things to do. They are full of imagination, endless thoughts, and ideas ready to carry out. They help me see the world in a positive light. They don’t talk about the fires in California or how devastating this generation is. Instead, they talk about how their Lego houses can also transform into submarines and spaceships.

Every time I spend time with a child I always wonder what they would be like when they reach my age. I wonder what career paths they will take once they’re older. I could be drawing with a future heart surgeon or a reading with future authors. It’s the reason why I see such importance in investing time in our youth. Preserve the youth to preserve the future.

Teaching is a crucial necessity for children. When I play with children or volunteer in summer science camps, I always try to answer the child’s question to the best of my ability. Passing on knowledge is a great way to help kids grow and develop into better people. I always enjoy teaching the kids during camps and reading to them when I’m asked to. It shows me how important it is to teach the youth. I then give a higher respect to every teacher I’ve ever had. It’s always fun to plan and figure out how to teach children in a way that will help them grasp a concept. I enjoy reading to kids as well. I find ways to exaggerate and tell the story in a way that will help the children fully immerse themselves in the story.

Spending time with children makes me philosophical and psychological. I am given a new awareness of how much people change as they get older. How a child’s mind can be influenced for the better or for the worse, how much society molds the mind, and how a child’s surroundings affect their upbringing. It makes me ponder the future generation. These are the kids growing up in the age of technology. They will learn and create new things we could only dream of.

Spend time with children as much as you can. They’ll certainly make time go by and will change a small part of you every single time.

Song for today: Tightrope by Walk the Moon