Debatable: What to consider while “Making America Great Again”

Vivian Coleman, Staff Writer

“People are not born to hate or love; it is not we who change time, but time who changes us.”
-Anonymous

As students, we go about our days blindsided by the dilemmas others face. We rush through hours of worrying only about our needs instead of contemplating challenges faced by others daily. We believe what we hear on the news and read on the internet, but we never consider the veracity of these situations. Propaganda clouds our vision, blinding us from the reality in front of us. Our world is in turmoil. We are plagued with hardships such as racism, hatred, and capital diversity, each polluting the air with its corruptness. We live in a century that is completely modernized than that of years pass, but the same problems still seem to plague us. Chris Matthews, American radio host, said, “In the United States, there are some, who
call themselves Christian, that believe that Muslims should not be allowed to represent in our senate.” America’s foundation was laid out on the idea of religious freedom for all, but does that not apply when the thoughts of others are blinded because of their hatred for Islamic “terrorists”? Mrs. Amie Martinez says, “The Muslim religion is a peaceful practice that frowns upon any form of violence. Although many of you [students], believe the opposite from what you experience in your daily lives. You have the conception that Islam was founded on hatred because of Muslim extremists, but these ideas are misconstrued. The Islamic faith has many of the same ideals as we do. Just because a few wreaked havoc, doesn’t mean that you should judge the entire religion.” The Islamic faith is a monotheistic religion that has similar beliefs to those who practice the Christian faith. Despite the attacks that we immortalize, do we have the right to judge the many for the sins of a few? Are we not all human?

Racism has been around since before the colonization of this country. The belief that one has superiority over another has planted this fruit of deception into the heads of many. America has been plagued with this ailment, although many have attempted to eradicate racism vainly. The Declaration of Independence proclaims, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights governments are elected at the consent of the governed.” Individuals have a fear of the unknown; cultures and languages that are different are considered primitive and animalistic. During the production of this declaration, many colonists believed themselves to be above those who had a different pigmentation of skin. Cultures were destroyed, languages forgotten because of Darwinism. However, the racism that is confronted today is marginally different than that faced during the colonial times. A CNN reporter once stated, “A 35-year-old white male ran into a light skinned African American woman. Instead of apologizing profusely for the occurrence, he scowled at her, stating, ‘It’s good that President Trump plans to build the wall. It’ll keep riffraff
like you out of this country.’ The woman looked at him in confusion, unsure if he was speaking to her, before stating her heritage to him.” We should not have to inform those who believe in such bigotries of our heritage. Since America was cultivated out of a melting pot of diverse origins, shouldn’t we all be considered immigrants to this country? Generations have come and gone throughout the centuries, but as America has evolved, Americans have always seemed to profit off the labor of another. An anonymous speaker states, “The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.” Today, despite various technological advances, we are still segregated by a caste. This rift is not like the Hindu’s caste system, but it is a divide between the rich, the poor, and the middle classes. These three factions make up the communities today.

In Laredo, we are presented with the northside and the southside. People who tend to be more economically stable reside in the north, while those who don’t flock to the south. There is a misconstrued conception that the better educational schools are in the northside of the city, while the lesser ones are in the southside. As well as the idea that all people who live in North Laredo tend to be snobs and well off in life. We let the amount that we have in our wallets distinguish who we are as a person, but what really establishes us as individuals isn’t the clothes we wear or the money in our bank account. It’s the blood in our veins; the air in our lungs. What really makes us all human beings is that we have dreams, hopes, and a heart.
We will always be faced with those who have different opinions, or who will dislike us because of our attributes. Diversity, bigotry, and hatred will always cloud the minds and blind the hearts of others, but as an anonymous poet once said, “We are all made of dust, rock, and stone. With only the world at our feet, and the sky beyond our reach. In the end we are all just human. Isn’t that simply beautiful.”