Let’s talk politics: Separation of Church and State

Brianna Pineda, Staff Writer

The argument of the statement “separation between church and state “ has been around for quite a while. There are people arguing that it’s not in the constitution, people saying that it’s in a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote, people saying that there is no such thing as “separation between church and state “ in the United States, so I’m here to put some clarity to this situation.

“Separation of church and state” was written for the first and only time in a letter from Thomas Jefferson to the Baptists from Danbury, Connecticut. He wrote this letter to explain the First Amendment and to ease the fear of the Baptists. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” Case in point, the Constitution does in fact say to keep religion separate from anything governmental, so separation of church and state is just a term used to summarize the First Amendment.

Even though I’m in full agreement with this notion, I can understand why people don’t see eye to eye with it. They want their children to pray and be taught about their specific religion in school and for a man or woman of their religion to make their country, state, and city decisions. This is the way that they feel truly protected and that their kids, to their belief, are being taught something worthwhile. However, since we’re a diverse country there would be a huge clash between students and teachers leading to unhealthy environments at schools. As for incorporating religion into political speeches, debates, and elections, just because you go to church every Sunday or even every day might make you a good Christian, Catholic, or however you identify religiously, but it doesn’t make you suitable to make any major decisions for any country, state, or city.

In my opinion, separation of church and state is a very much needed amendment in the United States because while the majority of our country may be Christian there are also Catholics, Muslims, Mormons, Jews, and a lot of other religions as well as Atheists. This is because we are a diverse country with diverse minds, so we must have respect for one another and keep religion out of schools, elections, public political speeches, etc. Of course this is my perspective on the notion and situation. As always, you decide how you see it.