Game Corner: Travel around the globe with Super Mario Odyssey

The Magnet Tribune: GameCorner Screenshot
Mario and Cappy (left) using the Power Moons to power-up the Odyssey .

Manuel Ruiz, Game Corner Columnist

History

During a Nintendo Switch Presentation on January 12, 2017, where Nintendo was showing off its brand new game, Super Mario Odyssey. as a holiday 2017 game release. This would be a brand new Mario game being released on the new Nintendo Switch.

Story

As every Mario game, it’s always the same scenario, Princess Peach has been captured by Bowser, but this time Bowser is planning to marry Peach with the help of the new baddies, The Broodals a group of bunny characters that try to stop Mario from ruining Bowsers plan. However, Mario isn’t alone as he has helped by the brand new character name Cappy who is Mario sidekick in this brand new adventure who also has to save his little sister named Tiara, who was kidnapped by Bowser. Mario travels with Cappy with the help of The Odyssey, and travel to each brand new Kingdom to stop Bowsers plan and save Princess Peach and Tiara.

Gameplay

Mario Odyssey is a 3D open-world platformer, where the player can travel anywhere the player can go and explore any area they can desire. The sky is the limit in this brand new adventure, as Mario controls the same as previous titles as he has the same abilities such as being able triple jump, wall jump, long jump and much more.

As Mario travels around each world, he collects Power Moon, which is scattered around each kingdom. Each kingdom has a different amount of power moons and some are locked till you beat the main story.

In this brand new adventure, Mario has a brand new ability thanks to Cappy and that Mario is able to take control of enemies and he is able to control enemies for the first time. This brand new mechanic is useful in many ways as it gives Mario certain abilities that he wouldn’t be able to perform.

As Mario also travels to other Kingdoms he can collect the type of different purple coins that each kingdom has to collect. The purple coins serve as a collectible for the player as they reward the player since they can purchase costumes for Mario to wear, stickers for the Odyssey and items for the Odyssey. Each kingdom has a different amount of coins scattered around the kingdom so players can explore even more to find these purple coins.

A brand new mode called snapshot mode where the player can take a photo of Mario in any type of scenario, with cool filters that the player could choose. This lets the player take a great amount of wacky pictures, and a great amount of fun as the player can post this on social media such as Twitter and Facebook if they link their Nintendo Switch with social media.

In each kingdom, the player has access to a mini-game mode called Koopa Race, where the player races against NPC’s and reach the goal that differs in each kingdom. When the player is racing they are being timed, and if they are connected online there time is uploaded into a leaderboard of other times by other players around the world.

Lastly, the game offers two-player co-op where two people can choose to play as either Mario or Cappy. This gives the option for the player if they want to play with a friend and enjoy the kingdom.

For the first time, Mario no longer has lives; instead, if a player dies, they lose coins instead! When the player dies they’re able to get back a few coins they’ve lost in the same area where they died.

New Updates

On January 11, 2018, during a Nintendo Mini Direct, it was announced that Mario Odyssey would have a free update that would include 3 brand new costumes for Mario and a new mode featuring Mario’s brother Luigi!

Pros

Super Mario Odyssey is a fantastic game where the player can explore anywhere they can go and find so many rewards that they might not even find on their first time playing. The amount of costumes the game offers is really outstanding and unique, and the amount of power moons the characters can find and collect is outstanding as you can explore more and go back to each kingdom.

The ability to take control of different type of enemies is a mechanic that is well used, in most kingdoms Mario will have to use certain enemy’s abilities such as being able to swim faster and being able to breathe underwater, be able to fly and much more.

Lastly, the music is outstanding, with the Original song “Jump Up, Super Star!” sung by Kate Higgins, (Voicing the character Pauline in the game). Each Kingdom has unique pieces of music which fit each kingdom.

Cons

The only problem in Super Mario Odyssey is the reward the player gets by collecting all Power Moons in the game (which totals up to 880), and the reward for collecting all the power moons is very disappointing but for those who enjoy collecting and exploring this won’t a problem.

Conclusion

Super Mario Odyssey is a wonderful platformer for the Nintendo Switch as you can take the adventure anywhere at any time. As the game lets you explore the kingdom without any limits and rewards the player for exploring the kingdoms around them. The gameplay feels fantastic as Mario controls better than before. Super Mario Odyssey is a must have for Nintendo Switch Owners as it gets a 10 outta 10.

About the Writer