New music Monday: Death Cab for Cutie is back with 9th studio album

Death Cab for Cutie 
@deathcabforcutie

Death Cab for Cutie @deathcabforcutie

Zoe Alvarez, Staff writer

Ever get an itch for new music? It can be overwhelming when there’s so much out there. Let me introduce you to Death Cab for Cutie an alternative rock five-member band from Bellingham, Washington.  This band is made up of Ben Gibbard (lead vocalist, guitarist, and pianist), Nick Harmer (bassist), Dave Pepper (guitarist, keyboardist, and vocalist), Zac Rae (guitarist and keyboardist), and Jason McGerr (drums).

Death Cab for Cutie
@deathcabforcutie

I first discovered this band the summer before my freshman year when their song “Good Help (Is So Hard to Find)” from their recent album Kintsugi back in 2015 was played on the Alt Nation Sirius XM station.

A little later into the year I started to listen to more of the album. Their songs “Black Sun,” “The Ghost of Beverly Drive,” and “Little Wanderer” were my absolute favorite. I also started to listen to more of their older music towards the summer before my sophomore year. It wasn’t until the first Friday of my junior year that their newest album “Thank You for Today” was released that I began to listen to the album from start to finish ever since it came out. I’ve been listening to Death Cab for Cutie for almost 3 years.

Here is a list of my most favorite songs in no order:

1. I Dreamt We Spoke Again
  2. Gold Rush
  3. Autumn Love
  4. Black Sun
  5. The Ghost of Beverly Drive
  6. Little Wanderer
  7. Good Help (Is So Hard to Find)
  8. El Dorado
  9. You Are a Tourist
  10. I Will Possess Your Heart
  11. Soul Meets Body
  12. Crooked Teeth

@deathcabforcutie

My father and I share a liking to this band. Death Cab for Cutie is a band that will always remind me of the bond I have with my father. We would listen to their music and discuss the lyrics and sounds, especially with their newest album. Their sound can be categorized as Alt rock, alternative, indie, indie rock, and indie pop. With my taste in music, this band is just right. It checks off everything on my alternative genre list. If there is something Death Cab for Cutie definitely has is their extraordinary sound.

It’s a beautiful mix of instrumental and vocal. The intro in “Soul Meets Body” is a true gift to the sense of hearing. The guitar is exceptional. We are blessed with beautiful guitar chords that blend so perfectly with everything else in the song. In their song “I Dreamt We Spoke Again,” the chorus gives us a wonderful guitar solo. The song “Good Help (Is So Hard to Find),” also provides us a great guitar solo along with their chorus and bridge. Another impressive guitar intro is in “Black Sun,” the guitar is strong throughout the entire song. I absolutely love the guitar intro to “Crooked Teeth,” it’s so dynamic and energetic. “I Will Follow Into the Dark” is another song that has an acoustic twist. The guitar chords and strumming set the mood of the song quite well.

@deathcabforcutie

Just as fantastic as the guitar is, so is the bass. In the song “I Will Possess Your Heart” is a bass intro like no other. My father and I adore this song for its defining sound. The piano is great as well. Again in “I Will Possess Your Heart” the keys are a nice touch and combine many different sounds.

Ben Gibbard, the vocalist, gives us a unique sound. In the song “Good Help (Is So Hard to Find)” his voice is incredibly distinctive. It’s one reason that became attracted to this band. His voice can also be quite strong and smooth. In the song “Black Sun,” he gives us listeners a taste of his voice in lower octaves. He can sing but simultaneously tell a story, share his inner struggles, and talk about these thoughts on certain aspects of life.

The lyrics are the things I like most about this band. To listen to these lyrics and feel what he feels is truly astounding. Every song is a well-written story. They talk about feeling lost (You Are a Tourist), love (Autumn Love), nostalgia (Gold Rush), pain, struggle, darkness and love (I Will Follow You Into the Dark). I honestly find their lyrics to be works of art: Written masterpieces, stories for those willing to listen, hidden truths.

Death Cab for Cutie on the Tonight Show @deathcabforcutie

In their song “Gold Rush” they talk about all the rejunctification down in Seattle, their beloved city. This hits close to home since I love Seattle and am sadden by all the change that’s occurring, especially to their alternative neighborhoods such as Capitol Hill.

A song with lyrics I quite like is “Little Wanderer” my father and I always liked this song because it mentions travel. He talks about his love whose in Tokyo and Paris. He fell in love with a girl who travels the world and of course he is “little wanderer.” To all those who seek unique alternative sound, Death Cab for Cutie is perfect for you.

Want to hear more from the Death Cab for Cutie? Discover their music here.

Interested in seeing them live? Catch them on tour here or see them at a music festival here.