FANtastic TV: The 100’s fight for survival in a hostile land

Shown is the season one poster of The 100.

The Magnet Tribune: The CW

Anna Davenport, FANtastic TV columist

The CW Television Network’s “The 100” is a wonderfully scripted show that takes a basic post-apocalyptic world plotline and transforms it into a sci-fi nuclear radiated Earth turned battle for survival of the fittest.

The show revolves around common themes like greed, grudges, broken trust, sacrifice, manipulation, and violent solutions. In every episode, we see various common themes skillfully placed to push along the story as the plot thickens. Alliances made between enemies always fail; the path of peace is paved through sacrifice. The fight is never over, and some people don’t deserve to survive.

Throughout the series, we are given consistent visuals that excite viewers and keep their attention firmly locked on the show as we witness alliances form and their clashing betrayals. We see spectacular environments such as a glowing forest, endless deserts, overgrown ruins, gorgeous beaches, and icy terrains.

“The ground, that’s the dream. This is reality.”

On The Ark, all crimes, regardless of how big or small, are punishable by death. That is, unless you are under 18. Juvenile offenders are put in lockup. This is the reality of Prisoner 319 a.k.a. Clarke Griffin.

Within three minutes of the beginning of the first episode, we learn that our timeline begins 97 years after nuclear missiles killed everyone on Earth. People escaped in 12 space stations that came together to create the Ark. Clarke, who had been in solitary for a year, is suddenly forced onto a drop ship. She, as part of the 100 juvenile offenders, is sent to an Earth simmering in radiation to test if the Earth is inhabitable.

Soon after their arrival, many of the 100 are prepared to turn their back on the Ark and fake their death. Clarke, Finn, Octavia, Monty, and Jasper (other juvenile offenders, a part of the 100) form a group to make their way to Mount Weather to retrieve food.

Alliances made between enemies always fail; the path of peace is paved through sacrifice.”

— Anna Davenport

Once Clarke’s group begins to enjoy their newly found freedom on the ground, they discover they weren’t the only survivors of the nuclear bombs.

Grounders are survivors that didn’t leave Earth and they certainly aren’t happy that the 100 came back to Earth. Grounders are out for the 100s blood, and soon the 100 will be out for Grounder blood as well.

Clarke must fight against mountain men that drain their blood, a stand for peace that may be the reason they go to war, artificial intelligence that takes over their mind and memories, black acid rain that threatens all, night blood that may save humanity, and killers straight out of cryosleep that have been alive for hundreds of years. As the unthinkable becomes the only possible answer, thousands will die and only the few will live.

The longer we continue to watch, the more changes we see Clarke slowly transform from someone simply trying to ensure the survival of humanity into a commander of death, destruction, and ultimately – hope. As they stare directly into the abyss, the abyss stares directly into them. She rises through ashes of the fallen to bring others to a new world in which there is a unity, whether significant or basic, between all.