New music Monday: Lorde shines in the Greenlight

Lorde's second album

Lorde's second album "Melodrama"

Zoe Alvarez, New music Monday columnist

If you love music as much as I do, you will find yourself always looking for new music to spice up your library. For those who feel the same way, let me introduce you to Lorde. Ella Marija Lani Yelich-O’Connor, better known by her career name Lorde, a singer-songwriter from Takapuna, New Zealand.

I first began listening to Lorde in 6th grade with her hit song “Royals.” It was played everywhere and incredibly catchy. A little after that, her song “Team”, became a hit too. On Valentine’s Day, my father bought my mother Lorde’s first album “Pure Heroine.” I remember they stayed up that night listening to that album on the stereo.

In middle school, I began listening to her whole album. I knew all the lyrics. She also made more music after the album through movie soundtracks and music collaborations. I absolutely loved her song “Magnets” with Disclosure. The summer before my sophomore year she dropped her second album “Melodrama.” I became fully immersed in her music not too long after that.

I was also given the wonderful opportunity to see Lorde live in concert in Glendale, AZ. To read about that concert experience click here.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

These are my favorite songs:

1. Tennis Court
  2. Homemade Dynamite
  3. The Love Club
  4. Magnets
  5. Yellow Flickr Beat
  6. White Teeth Teens
  7. Team
  8. Sober
  9. The Louvre
  10. Royals
  11. Greenlight

Lorde can be considered alternative, pop, and synth-pop. Her music can range from dark and twisty to poppish nightlife parties. It’s a unique quality her music has.

Her first album “Pure Heroine” gave us a dark, twisty, serious, edgy vibe. With twisty lyrics and sound, no wonder it gained that reputation. Its overall aesthetic can be pictured as dark rooms, late nights, and rebellion. It’s like a movie about teenagers who only wear dark bleak colors, stay up all night, and rebel against society. The music is far from poppish happy tunes. Her sound is very much dark and dismal. The vocals, the sound, and the lyrics all contribute to that feel. Of course, the dark depressing vibe isn’t too overbearing, it’s enough to get its point across.

The lyrics certainly set the mood for this album. They give strong cynical vibes (Tennis Court). Others have grim meanings about blood and war (Glory and Gore). Some are about unusual people who stick together (Team). These songs offer a dark impression with their lyrics (Ribs), (Buzzcut Season), (Glory and Gore), and (Still Sane). The album’s sounds remind me of dark long empty marble halls, small neighborhoods at night, city lights, and edgy teenagers.

Other songs give an eerie vibe with its sound and lyrics (Still Sane), (White Teeth Teens). Her vocals certainly add to this atmosphere too (Ribs), (Glory and Gore), (Still Sane), (White Teeth Teens). It can be considered misleading with its happy upbeat vibe from the vocals but sure enough, the darkness lies within the lyrics (White Teeth Teens), (Royals), (Tennis Court), (Ribs), and (Still Sane). With its sound, lyrics, vocals, and feel, this album is a true masterpiece.

Unlike the first album, her second album “Melodrama,” is a beautiful mix of vocals and synth. This album gives off a strong, poppish alternative vibe. The colors of this album are blue and greenish hues. These were the colors she pictured while writing this album. I always picture vibrant blue and green colors in my head while listening to this album. Taking a look at the album cover will certainly set the ambiance of “Melodrama.” The sound is a blend of pop, synth, and lively vocals.

This album also gives off a nighttime party life vibe (Greenlight), (Homemade Dynamite). The sound of this album is absolutely dynamic with its songs (Perfect Places), (Greenlight). I picture neon blue and green when I hear this album. This album has a great neon aesthetic: (Sober), (Greenlight), (Homemade Dynamite). Almost like an explosion of energy and vivid colors. I can picture a huge party in the city at night, loud music, a crowded dance floor, green and blue lights.

The synth was a great touch to the album. It made the spiced up the song in many ways, be sound or energy: (Greenlight). (Sober), (Homemade Dynamite), (Sober 2, Melodrama), (Hard Feelings/Loveless), and (The Louvre.) Synth is apparent in the majority of Melodrama. The best song with synth, in my opinion, is “Homemade Dynamite.”

I absolutely love her new aesthetic. I live for the sound and colors. Her vivid theme and sound are incredibly attractive to the eyes and ears. “Greenlight” was certainly a huge surprise to us followers who knew Lorde for her dark, edgy sound. She really switched up her sound. I find this album to be such a fantastic twist on her music. It gives us listeners a fresh taste of alternative pop, Lorde’s take on alternative pop.

Something that always makes the artist the artist is their vocals. Lorde is an artist with amazing vocals. Not only does she have great vocals on her tracks; she has great vocals live. I was astonished when she sang. Every so often you could hear her accent slip when she sings or talks. Her vocals really set the mood for her albums. From the dark edgy sound of “Pure Heroine,” to the incredibly dynamic sound of “Melodrama,” she truly has a gift.

I highly recommend Lorde for all those seeking new music.

Want to hear more of Lorde? Click here

Want to see her live in concert or music festival? Click here

About the Photographer