Asian Lovelies: Summer Update

Addy Melgar, Lovelies Columnist

During the summer, there were a lot of shows and movies that I was able to watch because I am a couch potato and I was able to find some very interesting shows and movies that vary from romance, terror, action, science fiction, etc.

Some shows and movies that I had the opportunity to watch were; Romance is a bonus book, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo, A love so beautiful, My Hero Academia, Himouto Umaru-chan, Love alarm, and more.

Romance is a bonus book

A Korean romantic comedy show directed by Lee Jeong-hyo that talks about a pair of childhood friends, Kang Dan-i and Cha Eun-Ho, who are played by Lee Na-young and Lee Jong-suk. They get separated when Kang Dan-i falls in love with a man and marries him without knowing Cha Eun-Ho’s true feelings. Eun-Ho joins a big publishing company and starts his career as a writer while Dan-i goes through a divorce and becomes homeless without Eun-Ho’s knowledge. She becomes his maid for some weeks in order to live in his house until he finds out and eventually she starts living with the playboy editor in chief of the Gyeroyo publishing company and that’s when things go crazy for Dan-i.

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo

I also started watching Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo, which is also a Korean romantic comedy directed by Oh Hyun-Jong, that talks about a girl who lost her mother since she was very little and started weightlifting with her father. It eventually became her passion, until she reunited with an old friend of hers that is a swimming major athlete. Additionally, he starts developing feelings towards her.

A love so beautiful

A Mandarin romantic comedy show directed by Yang Long that talks about a girl Chen Xiaoxi (Shen Yue) who has a crush on her childhood neighbor, Jiang Chen (Hu Yitian) but he ignores her until a new transfer student, Wu Bosong (Gao Zhiting) starts giving her the attention she needed. As Chen Xiaoxi and Wu Bosong start hanging out and getting closer, he starts developing feelings towards her. Jiang Chen starts feeling jealous of their friendship and realizes his true feelings for Xiaoxi. After high school, the real problems start popping out as Xiaoxi was not accepted into the college she wanted and that’s when they start dealing with the problems that come with adulthood.

My Hero Academia

A Japanese superhero manga that talks about this kid who comes from a family of superheroes that have very little superpowers that get passed down to their kids, as Izuku Midoriya grows older he starts fantasizing about how he wanted to be a superhero but he was one of the 20 percent of people on Earth to be born without a quirk, that is a natural superpower that is a basic biological function in the modern population, earning him endless amounts of torment and bullying in school. In superhero academia, they make him work extra hard because he doesn’t have a quirk.

Himouto Umaru-chan

A Japanese manga series by Sankaku Head, it talks about this beautiful gamer girl that lives two very different lives. In one she is the popular beauty of her school, but once she gets home with her brother she becomes the gamer couch potato that she very much enjoys being, the show is very fun as the graphics are very different when she becomes the couch potato. The graphics become “chibi,” which is a Japanese slang word describing something short and cute. Typically these characters are small and chubby, with stubby limbs and oversized heads to make them resemble children. When she becomes the school’s beauty, the graphics are more serious and less “chibi” like. Although both characters are the same person, they are very different as her voice changes depending on her character. In front of her friends she is a very feminine girl that is delicate and has lots of friends and lots of people admire her and are jealous of her beauty, but once she gets home to her brother she is this obsessed gamer girl that enjoys wrapping herself in a blanket to eat potato chips with a coke while playing on her computer all day and/or sleeping, but what will happen once her friends find out about her true identity?

Love alarm

A South Korean romance television series that talks about this app that lets you see who is interested in you within a 10-mile radius. The main character is Kim Jo-jo, played by actress Kim So-hyun, she is a girl living in poor conditions with a crush on the new transfer student, Lee Hye-yeong, played by Jung Ga-ram who happens to be a model with lots of money, but as we start meeting these characters it becomes a love triangle as Hye-yeong’s best friend likes Jo-jo, as well. Jo-jo is happy despite her financial difficulties and with the help of the love alarm she falls in love with Hye-yeong until they get into a motorcycle accident and they lose contact with each other, will they ever get to be together again?