Student teacher considers her future as a teacher

Leah Teniente, a student teacher in Johanna Chaney's class, works with students during a recent second block.

The Magnet Tribune: Salma Silva

The Magnet Tribune: Salma Silva

Salma Silva, Staff Writer

Student teacher Leah Teniente has looked up to teachers for many years.

Teniente is a student teacher with Johanna Chaney, an AP U.S History and Pre-AP World History teacher, this semester.

She helps Chaney with the students, assists her while giving lessons, and even teaches a few lessons here and there.

Teniente, a graduate of United High School, explains why she likes being at VMT.

“The classes are so small here and it actually makes it a lot more fun to work with the students because you get to have longer discussions and get to know the students a lot better,“ Teniente said. “At United you had all kinds of students but here at VMT you just know you are going to get a very talented student and that kind of transfers to the lessons as well, so when we give out information, you know, you want to add some type of creative activity that they are able to express themselves.”

At United you had all kinds of students but here at VMT you just know you are going to get a very talented student and that kind of transfers to the lessons as well.”

— Lea Teniente

She explained the role of planning as a teacher.

“A lot of planning goes into teaching, preparing the lessons, what you are going to talk about, what questions you are going to ask,” she said.

She said she feels good before giving a lesson.

“I get a little more excited than nervous,” she said.

The TAMIU College of Education has a program for students who want to learn how to become a teacher. Supervisors at TAMIU call schools and ask for permission to have student teachers on campus.

“At the College of Ed you definitely learn that all students learn differently,” she said.

“It’s very different once you get into the classroom because every student is different, every classroom is different, and you have to learn what works and what doesn’t,” she said.

Teniente explained her goals as a teacher in the future.

“I want to get to know what works for me as a teacher. What kind of teacher am I going to be? Am I going to be super strict when it comes to certain things? Am I going to be one that lectures? Am I going to ask questions?” Teniente said. “(I will be) a positive teacher that is really going to help these students in their academics.”

She said VMT has been a great learning experience.

“That’s the best thing about being in student teaching — you get to learn from these experienced teachers that have been teaching for many years, or even just a few years, and just getting to know all these students. I really do feel like I’m already part of VMT,” Teniente said.

She explained why she looks up to teachers here.

“The teachers at VMT are really awesome. They know their stuff, and they know their students, what works and what doesn’t,” Teniente said.  “I have to say I really do see better teachers here at VMT than I had when I was going to school. Their positive attitude is just amazing.”