Literary magazine students host third annual ‘Fright Mic’

The Magnet Tribune: Lucero Rea
Tapestry editor Anthony Berrones and staff writer Andrea Guajardo snap their fingers in approval of a reading at Fright Mic.

Lauren Melendez, Staff Writer

On Friday the 13th — perhaps the scariest day of the year — VMT’s literary magazine staff hosted its third annual “Fright Mic.”

Fright Mic on Oct. 13, one of VMT’s Halloween traditions, is an open mic event with a twist. Each of the members of the literary magazine staff recited an original poem or short story that was Halloween-themed. After that, they opened the floor to the audience, so that anyone who wished to share one of their works could take the stage.

Andrea Guajardo, a junior who also attends J.W. Nixon High School, was the master of ceremonies for the event. Fright Mic was held in the VMT amphitheater, and was open to the entire student body.

My Pretty Little Family … brought out more of the fright.”

— Regina Renteria

The literary magazine, which is entitled Tapestry, is a culmination of the students’ work. Any student is allowed to, or rather, is encouraged to, submit original pieces, ranging from prose and poetry to artwork, and photography.

Fright Mic served as both a sneak peek into this year’s issue of Tapestry, as well as a means for students to submit their work to the staff members.

Samantha Trevino, also a sophomore at L.G. Cigarroa High School, read a poem entitled “My Pretty Little Family,” which was a satirical piece about the ideal family.

She began the poem as follows: “My pretty little family is just like yours. There’s my mommy in kitchen, daddy in the study, brother outside, and baby in the crib.” However, the tone of the poem soon changed, with lines such as “Mother makes dinner. Her last victim brewing in their own blood smells positively delicious,” and “guts make such good toys.”

When asked after the event about her favorite recitation, sophomore Regina Renteria answered with “My Pretty Little Family,” because “it brought out more of the fright.”

When each of the Tapestry staff members had recited a piece, Guajardo opened the floor to the audience. Mia Gomez-Reyes, a junior who also attends Martin High School, rose to the challenge. While most of the other writers interpreted the Halloween theme quite literally, writing about ghouls, monsters, and things of that nature, Gomez wrote about a more real fear, one might say.

She began her untitled poem with the words “When you are small, your parents tell you there is no such thing as monsters. They show you the emptiness under the bed, leave the light on in the closet to prove there is nothing there, and you believe them. You outgrow the fear of creatures that do not exist, but now you know who the real monsters are.”

Throughout the poem, she alluded to topics relevant to society, ranging from terrorism and racism to politics, and ended her poem with a profound statement: “How can you be so scared of what could be under your bed, when there’s the whole world to be afraid of?”

When asked about her inspiration behind the piece, Gomez stated, “Last year I read, but I didn’t read something scary. I wanted to find something to fit in with the topic … the news is ugly, so I made it kind of about that.”

Overall, the Tapestry students consider the event a success. With students from nearly every fine art in attendance, they were able to promote their fine art, and hopefully, generate more student submissions.