Melendez receives Hispanic scholar recognition

Junior Lauren Melendez who earned the Congressional Award Silver Medal in spring 2017, has also been recognized as a National Hispanic Scholar.

The Magnet Tribune: Lucero Rea

The Magnet Tribune: Lucero Rea

Xochitl Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Being recognized as a National Hispanic Scholar shocked senior journalism student Lauren Melendez.

“I was very excited because when I found out that I could qualify for this recognition, I wasn’t sure that I would meet the criteria, but I thought I’d apply just in case, so it was very surprising to be qualified,” Melendez said.

I’m very grateful to be named a National Hispanic Scholar, It’s a good way to set you apart from other applicants when it comes to the college admission process, and I would encourage everyone to apply for the award.”

— Lauren Melendez

To be recognized, Melendez reached a certain score on the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Test, identified herself as Hispanic/Latino, and had a grade point average of 3.5 or higher.

She states that her friends and family were very excited about her recognition.

“My family and friends were beyond excited for me,” Melendez said. “They’re always very supportive since they know I work hard to excel in academia, so I guess they were just happy my hard work paid off.”

Melendez said she studied beforehand by using a website called Khan Academy.

“I didn’t study as much as I should have, but using Khan Academy was very helpful,” she said.

She said that she was thankful for being recognized as a National Hispanic Scholar.

“I’m very grateful to be named a National Hispanic Scholar,” Melendez stated. “It’s a good way to set you apart from other applicants when it comes to the college admission process, and I would encourage everyone to apply for the award.”

Melendez states that she is uncertain of what college she is planning to attend.

“I think it’s a good way to set a candidate apart for college admissions because, in this day and age, most students always strive to have a 4.0 GPA, but it’s recognitions like these, and extra-curriculars that set you apart from others,” she said.

She recommended underclassmen start preparing early when it comes to taking the SAT.

“I just recommend they start preparing early, rather than trying to cram everything on a week before,” Melendez said. “I have a tendency to do that, but since this was such an important test, I sat down and told myself that I would study with enough time to improve my score.”