Clarinetist advances to TMEA All-State

Monserrat Meneses performed with the TMEA All-State Band in February.

The Magnet Tribune: Eva Montiel

Eva Montiel, Staff Writter

Her good news brought tears of joy to her mom.

“I couldn’t believe it!” senior Monserrat Meneses stated as soon as she found out she had made it to the competition.

Meneses was tremendously excited when her friends ran up to her to give her the great news’ she was one of three students selected to advance to TMEA All-State.

“TMEA was such a challenge for me because I knew the competition wasn’t going to be easy, but I was determined to reach my goal,” she said.

“As soon as they had posted the results and I saw that I was advancing, I rapidly called my mom to tell her about it. My mom started crying once I gave her the news, and she told me how beyond proud she was of me,” she said.

“Aww mi niña, no sabes lo orgullosa que me siento de ti!” her mom stated. (Aww my daughter, you don’t know how proud I am of you).

They’ve always believed in me, encouraged me to keep preparing and perfecting myself.”

— Monserrat Meneses

She got her start in music when she joined her friends in the Christen Middle School band.

“At first I joined band because I saw my friends joining it and thought it would be boring, but I ended up falling in love with it,” she said. “What led my passion for music is that I take music as a form of escape of anything that surrounds me. Whenever I play my instrument I feel like no one really is around me but myself and that is why I’m able to focus myself more into the music.”

At VMT, Meneses plays the clarinet, and studies under music instructor Melissa Hinojosa.

Meneses said one of the reasons she decided to enter TMEA competition was her mom. She was the one that brought up that enthusiasm in her to dedicate herself to music. She said her mom has been her number one supporter since the beginning.

Directors also influenced her to join band and told her few of the experiences others students have had, she said, adding they motivated her continuously reminding her she had a talent and that they would always be there for her.

“They’ve always believed in me, encouraged me to keep preparing and perfecting myself,” Meneses said.

Meneses said she plans to continue her studies as a musician after finishing her high school years. She’s planning on pursuing a career in music education.

“One thing I would highly recommend to aspiring musicians that would like to sign up for this competition, is that nothing is impossible. It’s just a matter of how bad you want to obtain it. And let me tell you that this experience is like no other,” Meneses said.

“All in all, I would like to give out a special thank you to my parents, friends, and music directors for always supporting and shaping me out to be the person I am now,” she said.