Art student wins trip to the international science fair

Senior+Megan+Yeary+shows+off+some+of+her+art+work.+She+will+be+attending+the+Intel+International+Science+and+Engineering+Fair+in+May.+
Senior Megan Yeary shows off some of her art work. She will be attending the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in May.

The Magnet Tribune: Jacqueline Mata

The Magnet Tribune: Jacqueline Mata

Jacqueline Mata, Staff Writer

VMT art student Megan Yeary’s science fair project on wildlife earned her a trip to the Intel international competition.

Yeary’s project, called “The Effects of Isolated Frequencies on Wildlife in its Natural Habitat,” is focused on how ultrasound frequencies will affect wildlife and how they will stop animals from going to the roadways. Her project was based on one of her family member’s accidents, she said; she wanted to prevent it from happening to others.

Her project made people aware that higher frequencies prevent accidents from happening and how they increased with different types of wildlife populations.

She won 1st place and was declared the grand champion winner of the LISD Secondary Schools Science Fair.

Yeary is one of two LISD students who will represent Nixon High School and Laredo ISD at the world’s largest pre-college science competition, the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in May.

Even though she has participated in the LISD science fair before, she said she was nervous about going and presenting her project, but she had confidence about her project and about everything.

Have persistence, don’t give up and always work hard. The only person you need to be better than is yourself.”

— Megan Yeary

Even with all the stress and pressure given during the science fair, Yeary said she had her best friend, Isabella Lopez, to calm her down and help her control all the stress. Lopez is also going to the international fair.

Over the years Yeary’s perception has changed in drawing and art. She said she has received many awards over the years for her work in art.

“If I had the opportunity to experience everything again, I would definitely do it all over again, Yeary said

Because of her participation in the science fair competition and all her work and participation in her schools, she said she was offered many scholarships and opportunities to do many things in her future.

Yeary offered advice to students on being successful.

“Have persistence, don’t give up and always work hard. The only person you need to be better than is yourself,” she said.