Filmmakers get involved in flute student’s life

Jocelyn Figueroa, Staff Writer

Julie Martinez, a junior flute player, is one of two VMT students being featured in a documentary by New York City filmmakers Jillian Schlesinger and Miguel Drake-McLaughlin.

Martinez was randomly chosen to be in the film. They asked her if she can be recorded frequently.

“My friends, Saul, Kayla, and I were just going to lunch in my sophomore year, last year at VMT, and that’s when they suddenly asked if they can record us, that it was for a project over there in New York and we said yes,” Martinez said.

Schlesinger and McLaughlin also went to Martin High, her home school, after filming her at VMT.

My friends, Saul, Kayla, and I were just going to lunch in my sophomore year, last year at VMT, and that’s when they suddenly asked if they can record us, that it was for a project over there in New York and we said yes.”

— Julie Martinez

“They also came to my home school, and were also filming me in band class and in marching practice, and in physics class,” Martinez stated.

She added they were also filming her at church which caused a big reaction among other churchgoers.

“What really stands out was the people around me, they were freaking out about it. For example, they also went to record me at my church, and the little kids were asking me if I was famous,” Martinez said.

Martinez felt special for being one of the two main characters of the film.

“Honestly, I felt honored for being one of the members. I’m not a very interesting person, and I’m a very shy person,” Martinez explained.

Martinez said her best experience during taping was when Martinez and her friends were at her house.

“The most memorable moment was when I was at my house with my friends Kayla and her boyfriend, Julio, and they were helping me dye my hair. Well, Julio was helping out in a way but was mostly messing it up. Then after that, we put on face masks and started doing random push-ups, but it was pretty much just hanging out with Kayla and Julio,” Martinez said.

Martinez’s parents and her friends’ reactions were one of confusion of her being filmed.

“My dad was asking a bunch of questions, and was just confused, asking what’s going on,” Martinez said.

Martinez got to know the filmmakers as people after hanging out a bit after and before they started filming.

“Before and after filming, we would talk for a bit getting to know them better. They brought us Whataburger one day, and we were just there hanging out (at home), and saying how the food is great and that they don’t have that back there at New York. I even got to meet their baby. He’s so adorable,” Martinez said.

Martinez said the filmmakers are friendly people.

“They’re very nice. They’re like angels. I guess you can say that because they’re super nice and at first I was so self-conscious and shy and as soon I got to know them better that’s when everything went cool and smooth,” Martinez said.

Martinez is not sure if the filmmakers are going to film her all the way to her graduation.

“Well, I know that they’re going to come back in October, but I’m not very sure if they’re going to continue my senior year,” Martinez said.