Steinway piano donated to VMT’s Hanon Society

Jordyn Rebeles, Staff Writer

On Friday, a grand piano was donated by the family of the late Dr. Antonio “Tony” Vidal Cantu to VMT’s Hanon Society. The piano was a Steinway model “B” that was made in New York City and is between 35-40 years old.

“The age is excellent for musicians because this means the instrument has been broken in. The notes sound beautiful and are easier to play because the keys are sensitive,” Mary Grace Carroll, piano instructor, said.

After a student played one note, the sound continued for almost a whole minute. All of the students were very grateful for the donation and excited for this rare opportunity.

“My dream is to share my ideas and I believe playing piano will help me achieve that goal,” Erick Ordoñez, a freshman, said. “It’s going to be an experience that I’ll remember for a very long time.”

The previous owner, Dr. Antonio Cantu, passed away on June 29, 2018. On his behalf, David Treviño, donated the piano to VMT, saying that Cantu had cared about the school very much.

“I believe that this school’s students are very special and smart,” Treviño stated. “I am very supportive of the arts. Knowing and understanding the arts, music, drawing and journalism can’t be absorbed. They have to be taught just like math and science. This school does a very fine job at that.”

When asked why she had chosen piano as her fine art, sophomore Kathlyn Alejandro said, “It just sounds so beautiful and relaxing. It relieves so much stress and I get lost in the music. This is going to be my second year in the Hanon Society and I wouldn’t change it for anything.”

The relaxing effects of piano music were proven the second Carroll started playing the Steinway. Everyone in the room let out a breath no one knew they were holding in. Students swayed with the melody and moved their fingers with the notes that were played.

“So, sometimes, people will sit around the piano, or even lay under it, when someone is playing,” Carroll said to her students.

Everyone that was close enough laid down under the piano and as their classmates played, they would point at the mechanics that made the music.

The Steinway on its own was a beautiful thing to witness. It’s a rare piano to see in such good condition and old age, much less to have in your possession.

“I’m so excited to be able to play such a beautiful instrument,” Alejandro said. “I’m so very, very grateful for this piano.”

Treviño said that he was more than glad to donate the piano because he is hoping to help VMT and its students to grow.

“VMT holds a very special place in my heart. The students and staff are so hardworking and creative,” he stated. “Learning the arts helps build kids’ self-esteem, helps with their character development, and their inner-self and gives them something to look forward to in school.  It also drives them to be better people and to make the world proud and successful.”

This is proven by Ordoñez, who said, “The more you make, the more there is to see, so just keep drawing, imagining, and creating. Express yourself.”