Incoming freshman, this one is for you

April 3, 2019

To you incoming freshman, the best advice to give you would simply be to always be yourself. They say that during high school you figure out who you truly are and maybe part of that is true. But, at the end of the day never lose sight of who you are.  There is going to be many people and even teachers that try to  influence you but never change.

I am sure that most of you look forward to high school because of the freedom you will have. The maturity level that is expected from you is high and it is up to you if you want to exceed it or not. But also many of you are excited for all these new classes and people. Sort of a new beginning, fresh start. Sometimes excitement can get the best of you but do not get distracted. Every year counts, every class, every assignment. Take every speech, every presentation, every assembly respectively, because soon you will realize the why behind them all.

As I sat in your shoes, I feel like the world was in my hands and it was. I felt unstoppable like no one could control me. I mean who would not feel this way if you are about to embark on a new adventure. I made choices that I thought were the best for me, took risks that I never thought I would. High school is the time where you choose who you want to be. The choices you make now affect you for the rest of you life. What I am trying to say is to listen to those who have gone through it, take the advice in. They have live and learned, you will too. Do not be stubborn and think that you could do it all alone. Your family, friends, and teachers are there to be your backbone, let them.

I know that society has this image on you that partying, smoking, and drinking makes you cool but it does not. I cannot lie and say all my friends have not stayed in that trap but they have. The community we live in heavily affects the choices we make but, you need to stay strong. Do not fall into pure pressure because you will end up on a dark road. It is easy to say that you will not but it is one thing to say and thing to do.

The transition from middle school to a campus with these mature kids who think they know it all can be a little frightening. One thing to always keep is an open mind. You may be hesitant to try new things your first year, because I was. Staying active in middle school was easy but high school is a different story. I was afraid to go to meetings or gatherings with people I did not know. But that is one regret from my freshman year, not staying active. After that year, I took every chance I was given. Whether it be a spot on the varsity, volunteering for clubs. I will willing to do anything that I was asked because it truly molds you to be strong. You are going to think that some teachers make you so is so dumb and unnecessary because, I did. Eventually as semesters have gone by those “pointless lectures” and me saying “how am I going to use this in life” have showed me some of life’s greatest takes.

Stay involved in as many sports, clubs, organizations as you can. I cannot stress this enough. You learn your likes and dislikes. I learned that FFA was not for me, culinary arts is not my things, that science is not my subject. You will benefit from them all and meet people that you create some of high school’s best memories. It might be tough to balance it all, but not impossible. From concession stands, to fundraising, to staying after school to paint posters, it all becomes a representation of who you are. Do not have a mentality that 4 years will go by quick if you keep to yourself. Top universities want students who not only are the top of their class but those who go the extra mile and keep active in extra curricular activities.

I met my best friends from playing basketball and volleyball. After 4 years, they are still my go to people. We have gone through big consequences from our mistakes but have managed to stay on track. Even if their dreams do not match yours, never let go of yours. You must remain focused on your biggest picture and make smart choices. Not only in school, but stay social out of school. As my basketball coach once said “it is all about the relationships you build along the way.” One day you might need that boy that sat in front of you in Calculus, the girl who was always bullied, the twins who would always get into trouble. They could one day be your boss, your hero, your inspiration, the people who need your guidance. Never look down on anyone despite where you come from, we all come from the same roots, one community.

There is gonna be stumbles and bumpy roads every month, maybe even every day but it gets better. I am not gonna sit here and write to you that high school was easy. The truth is that there are some days where you feel the weight of the world on your shoulders. After losing a game, failing a test, losing friends, I felt so hopeless. It is cheesy but a storm does not last forever.

When I was a freshman, I thought that high school would last forever,You do not have much time to dwell, 4 years fly by in a blink of an eye. One moment you are at freshman orientation and the next you are walking down the line. Enjoy every football game, UIL meet, practice, pep rally, showcase, because it is all going to be over. The moments that high school gives you are irreplaceable. Anyone who has graduated high school can tell you that they never knew time would tick this quick. Get out of your comfort zone, go through phases, make mistakes. You do not want to graduate high school and realize you could of done so much more, leave your mark and have no regrets. It is just 4 more years to hear the words “congratulations class of 2023.”