Mexico City resident describes earthquake

Emily Garza, Staff Writer

Mexico was again struck after 32 years, and one resident found herself in the middle of a major earthquake.

On September 19, 1985, Mexico City was caught by surprise by an 8.0 magnitude earthquake, according to CNN news.

About 10,000 people died, over 10,000 were injured, and countless citizens were left homeless. The earthquake lasted for about 3 minutes and started at around 7:18 a.m. news reports said.

We were not ready; we didn’t know it was going to happen.”

— Jackelina Segura-Juarez

About 32 years afterward came another earthquake on the exact same day — September 19 — but in a different year, 2017.

This earthquake was also strong with a magnitude of 7.1. It affected different places including Mexico City and areas in the states of Puebla and Morelos. The quake lasted a good 20 seconds and happened around 11 a.m., according to CNN news.

Earlier, another earthquake occurred in Oaxaca on September 7 with a magnitude of 8.2 which caused a 6.2 magnitude aftershock on September 23.

Both 1985 and 2017 earthquakes had some things in common, mainly they occurred on the same day. Another similarity is both damaged large numbers of buildings but most importantly schools.

In 1985 a building of National College of Professional Education fell apart during class leaving students trapped. In 2017, 22 bodies were found in the debris of an elementary school that collapsed, according to CNN news.

Jackeline Segura-Juarez, a resident of Mexico City, was working at her customs job when the earthquake struck.

“We were not ready; we didn’t know it was going to happen,” Segura-Juarez said, adding people were not expecting the disaster.

The quake had greatly affected Mexico by destroying many buildings, workplaces, and houses, news reports said.

According to Segura-Juarez, nothing happened to family members.

“My family was fine even though we had problems. There were people who had lost everything and we were fine,” she said.

Segura-Juarez’s neighborhood wasn’t as affected as other neighborhoods that were more severely damaged, she said.

“Although near our home there was no major damage, a lot of areas were not prepared for this type of situation,” Segura-Juarez said.

Neighbors who weren’t affected supported earthquake victims, according to Segura-Juarez.

“They helped with what was within their reach,” she said.

Segura-Juarez wanted to say how grateful her family was to not be affected.

“Although we and nearby people did not suffer major damages there were people who lost everything — families, home, work, and life, and we feel blessed that our family is well and most importantly in good health,” Segura-Juarez said.