How video games are important to others

Manuel Ruiz, Staff Writer

Many have passions for video games, such as Oscar Laredoan “TCG Faty” Colina.

“I’ve played video games all my life so they’re pretty much a part of my personality. Like how some people are bookworms or car people, I associate with being a gamer. My passion for games has even lead me to study Computer Science with the sole purpose of making video games for others to enjoy,” TCG Faty said.

Video games have always been a hobby many have enjoyed, it’s been a way many others form a bond with each other creating a long time friendships, and even helping through a difficult time. Such as Austin O’Brien, a college student, said,

Games are very helpful to others. It is a way to connect with each other, learn things that we wouldn’t normally know, a way to pass time as you wait, a way that can change your life in a possible good way but can also be an outlet to help you cope with life. O’Brien said.”

— Austin O'Brien

“Video games taught me a few things like science, history, math, art, psychology, music, etc. Surprisingly enough a video game did get me a girlfriend. But video games also helped me make friends, helped me get through the loss of a loved one, but also kept my mind off some stuff as well,” O’Brien said in an email.

Video games are a way of life, they help others who want to explore a brand new world, they help create a brand new story for others to enjoy, as  O’Brien stated, “Games are very helpful to others. It is a way to connect with each other, learn things that we wouldn’t normally know, a way to pass time as you wait, a way that can change your life in a possible good way but can also be an outlet to help you cope with life,” O’Brien said.

As we grow we learn a lot from videos game as well as we hold a special place for many of the memories that came from playing video games, such as Hyde Franco, a Vidal M Trevino art graduate.

“I’ve always played video games ever since I was little. One of the games that meant a lot to me as a kid is Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland. It was the very first video game I ever owned instead of borrowing games from my brother,” Franco said.

Many enjoy videos games as a hobby, as a way to release stress, a way to get to know others, or getting to grow a deeper bond with others, as Austin said, “Games are very helpful to others. It is a way to connect with each other, learn things that we wouldn’t normally know, a way to pass time as you wait, a way that can change your life in a possible good way, but can also be an outlet to help you cope with life,” O’Brien said.

I’ve played video games all my life so they’re pretty much a part of my personality. Like how some people are bookworms or car people, I associate with being a gamer. My passion for games has even lead me to study Computer Science with the sole purpose of making video games for others to enjoy.”

Many have benefited from playing videos games such as Leslie Galindo, a Vidal M Trevino student and a pianist who grew up playing video games.

“Well, I’ve been playing video games since I was a kid and it really helped me out with solving situations in short amounts of time. Also, since I’d always use my fingers for the controls it definitely helps with the dexterity in my hands for my instruments,” she said.

While others believe that video games are a distraction to daily life, others believe they’re useful and part of daily life, in the opinion of Alejandro Palacios, a UISD substitute teacher.

“It can depend mostly on what context they are used. There have been studies that have shown how video games help people to cope with anxiety and depression, as well as ‘Virtual Reality’ games being used for treating pain. However, if a person is healthy and relies solely on video games and has little to no interaction with his/her family or classmates, then that can be a problem that must be dealt with immediately,” Palacios said.

Video games are a work of art. They create worlds for others to enjoy, create stories for others to cry and laugh at, and make enjoyable moments that will last in people’s hearts for a long time. It has the same effect as books and movies, maybe even more powerful. Video games are for everyone to enjoy.

About the Contributor