EMT aspires to change her community

EMT Valeria Hernandez stands in front of her ambulance at her job.

Victoria Hernandez, Staff Writer

Most people in their 20s wake up whenever they want to but that’s not the case for Valeria Hernandez. She is an EMT aspiring to become a nurse. This means she works mostly everyday at odd hours while still managing to attend TAMIU.

“Every day is different. Sometimes I go in at 5 in the morning and I get out till 10 at night. Other days I go in at 9 in the morning and I get out at 12. Some days I work all literally 24 hours so it’s just every day is different. Sometimes we go out of town to pick up patients. We go to San Antonio, Hebbronville, McAllen, Corpus Christi, [etc.]. We take sick patients, some aren’t that sick but some are really sick. And yeah it’s really cool to just interact with different patients of all ages,” she stated.

Hernandez has always been able to go above and beyond of what is expected of her. She’s been doing that ever since she began in elementary.

I don’t regret it all. It was the best decision that I ever made.”

— Valeria Hernandez

“When I was in high school, I got a couple of awards like Honor Roll, Perfect Attendance, and Youth of the Month. I think Youth of the Month was the best award I ever got because I had the opportunity to practice my people’s skills and I had to stand up in front of a podium and speak and read a letter that I had to write to just thank everyone. Then afterward they gave a plaque and it had my name on it. Everything was just really nice. Another one of the best awards I have ever gotten was the Border Patrol Youth of the Month Award. All of the schools were there and it was pretty awesome,” Hernandez stated.

Prior to her freshman year, in middle school, she and her friends had made a pact that they would all go to the health science magnet. However, all of her friends bailed on her and she went all alone.

“My first week in the magnet I went to my counselor and I just started sobbing that I didn’t know what I was doing with my life. I mean you’re young and doing things that not a lot of people are doing. You second guess yourself and tell yourself, ‘Do I really want to do this?’, ‘How is it going to be?’ A lot of my friends didn’t go so I was kind of alone. You just take time to get used to something new and that’s with everything,” she said.

While Valeria was in high school, she went to the then Dr. Dennis D. Cantu Health Science Magnet. She entered when she was a freshman and has fallen in love with her profession ever since.

“I was actually aspiring to be a U.S. Customs agent because they would get a lot of money. Then one of my friends was saying ‘Let’s go to the magnet and we’re going to become EMTs and go into the path of medicine.’ I had realized that I hated guns and I couldn’t be a U.S. Customs agent so I went to do it too. In the end, my friends didn’t end up going and I went by myself. I don’t regret it all. It was the best decision that I ever made,” Hernandez stated.

‘Do I really want to do this?’, ‘How is it going to be?’”

— Valeria Hernandez

Hernandez has many goals set for herself and wants to accomplish those goals.

“My main goal right now is to get into the nursing program and finish the program. Then start working and go back to FNP (Family Nurse Practitioner) and afterward, I want to pursue politics because I want to be the voice for people who don’t have one. On the south side (of Webb County), there are illegal immigrants that don’t have a voice. Nobody speaks for them because they’re scared and I’ve been around that. I’ve experienced that and I want to help those people. I see a lot of them getting onto new career paths, achieving new goals, setting new goals, aspiring other people and helping others,” she said.

Hernandez has seen a lot from her parents, both of them sacrificing a lot of things for her and getting her what she needed.

“I would like to thank my parents for my success. They have helped me out tremendously and I don’t know what I would do without them. A lot of people have parents that don’t help them achieve anything and don’t support them. With my parents it was the complete opposite, they supported me through everything. They love me unconditionally and their love and support just mean the world to me. That’s how I was able to achieve everything that I am today and that’s how I’ll be able to achieve anything in the future also,” she stated.