Two female athletes say it’s a matter of fairness when competing against a transitioning male

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kathleen Molina, left, and Amor Aguilar discuss the situation of a high school transgender male athlete competing against female athletes.

The Magnet Tribune: Lesdy Hernandez

The Magnet Tribune: Lesdy Hernandez

The Magnet Tribune: Lesdy Hernandez

Lesdy Hernandez, Staff Writer

Kathleen Molina, sophomore, and Amor Aguilar, freshman, who play softball for Martin High, discussed the case of Mack Beggs a transgender wrestling state champion athlete from Trinity High School in Euless, Texas.

Beggs had requested to compete against male athletes, but due to the UIL policy, athletes must compete under the gender listed in their birth certificate.

“It’s not fair because they are not letting him (Beggs) compete against who he wants to compete,” Aguilar said.

Beggs started his transition from female to male in his freshman year in high school by taking low doses of testosterone.

“It upsets me because they should let him and others play who they want to. If I was in that situation it would make me feel like I’m limiting my power,’’ Molina said.

Back in 2017, Beggs’ junior year, two female competitors forfeited matches in fear of getting injured, and last year, Beggs’ senior year, one female forfeited even after the opposing coach and teammates insisted the girl wrestle Beggs.

Both years he won the Texas 110 pound girl’s wrestling championship.

“It’s understandable because they were not comfortable and it is scary to compete against someone who is either bigger than you or internally different from you, but it was understandable why the girls forfeited,’’ Molina said.

“He has the strength of a guy and the girls were trying to avoid getting badly injured,” Aguilar added.

Aguilar and Molina also expressed what they thought should have been done in these situations.

“They should be able to play with who they want to,” Molina said.

“He wanted to compete with guys not girls, so they should have allowed him,” Aguilar said.

About the Contributor